Author Topic: Uploading Raw DNA to Another Site  (Read 417 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uploading Raw DNA to Another Site
« on: Friday 01 March 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I manage my cousin's DNA results. He is keen to upload to another site to increase the chances of new matches. He wants me to do it but I am unable to download the raw DNA as the download instructions are apparently being sent to him. This means that it will be downloaded into his files and not mine. Therefore, I will be unable to do the upload to the chosen site. Any ideas how to get around this.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uploading Raw DNA to Another Site
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I manage my cousin's DNA results. He is keen to upload to another site to increase the chances of new matches. He wants me to do it but I am unable to download the raw DNA as the download instructions are apparently being sent to him. This means that it will be downloaded into his files and not mine. Therefore, I will be unable to do the upload to the chosen site. Any ideas how to get around this.
Yes, he can forward the email to you :).

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 24 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. We did think of this and he did forward the email but not before clicking on the download first therefore initiating the download to his own files. We are going to try again soon.

Many thanks for your response.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 24 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. We did think of this and he did forward the email but not before clicking on the download first therefore initiating the download to his own files. We are going to try again soon.

Many thanks for your response.
I think you can request it again (within reason, or it might get suspicious and block the download).

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 24 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Personally I would not do it, you have to prove that you have legal right to upload someones elses DNA.

It is not a Rocket Science task and at best you could install Team Viewer and help him through the process

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Personally I would not do it, you have to prove that you have legal right to upload someones elses DNA.

It is not a Rocket Science task and at best you could install Team Viewer and help him through the process

I don't think that is quite correct. I have uploaded relatives and friends data to My Heritage without any problem. They are uploaded and can be assigned to you or under their name*.

Gadget

*Add - one can just give a unique name to each different DNA file
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »

I don't think that is quite correct. I have uploaded relatives and friends data to My Heritage without any problem. They are uploaded and can be assigned to you or under their name*.

Gadget

No, their DNA data is not your data to do with as you want.

To upload A N Others data under assumed names etc is breaking Data Protection laws throughout the World.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 24 18:16 GMT (UK) »
How do you think many people have 'managed by' against their names?

All these people are linked to their own DNA (and e-mails)  and  access their reports etc.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 24 18:23 GMT (UK) »

Gadget

No, their DNA data is not your data to do with as you want.

To upload A N Others data under assumed names etc is breaking Data Protection laws throughout the World.
If the person consents to it in some sort of paper or electronic written form I think it is fine.