Author Topic: Burials in Upham  (Read 376 times)

Offline gedmax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials in Upham
« on: Friday 01 March 24 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m looking for the death or burial of Winifred and William Moulton.  They were both born in the 1740s married in about 1770 and had children Ann and Charlotte in about 1773 and 1775 in Upham.  Ann married Philip Godwin in Upham, and they later moved to Durley although some family lived in Upham later on. The name Moulton seems to be sometimes written as Molten or Melton but I can’t find any trace of deaths.

They could have died elsewhere.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Upham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 24 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Winifred was buried in Upham 26 November 1795.  No indication that she was a widow unfortunately.

There are gaps in the PR records available online and I can find nothing in the indexes that I have for the period 1775 onwards for William.

I note that the witnesses at the marriage of Anne and Philip were not named Moulton or any variant.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gedmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that,  i had trawled through the online info but it only started in 1813.  i have got a fiche somewhere but i hadn't noticed Winifred in it,  I haven't looked at the fiche for about 20 years. i don't suppose the burial had her age on it?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 24 14:11 GMT (UK) »
No, sorry, no indication of age.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gedmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help,  The online indexes for Hampshire are a bit confusing.  One database which is titled marraiges & banns actually has the first 17 pages as baptisms and the next 11 pages as burials.  The baptisms come up under a search but not the burials.  There is another file of Bishops Transcripts which are different in content, and I have found Winifred's death there. There is also an entry for 'Farmer' Moulton in 1774 which looks promising. It certainly pays to search the whole set of images as some do not seem to be indexed correctly.