Author Topic: Help please. Becket and Simpson Ballymoney Antrim  (Read 585 times)

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please. Becket and Simpson Ballymoney Antrim
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 March 24 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Unbelievable stuff here folks. Thank you so much. I was still staring at 0 finds in my searches this morning.

WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 March 24 15:46 GMT (UK) »

Believe when James Beckett/Rachel  came to Scotland c 1894/5, James Hamilton and Sarah Hamilton nee Simpson had also arrived previously. 1891 census

James Hamilton   48
Sarah Hamilton   48
William Hamilton20
Sarah Hamilton   17
Annie Hamilton   14
James Hamilton   11
Charles Hamilton   9
Thomas Hamilton   7
Joseph Hamilton   3

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02530/1937154.pdf

SS

The sons joined the military and fought in the Boer and WWI. It is believed the parents returned to Ireland at some time after. One son married in Scotland, one son in Northumberland and the rest in Ireland. Another son is thought to have absconded from the military and disappeared. One daughter married in Ireland and the other is thought maybe Ireland/Scotland and emigrated.
I am the grandson of James aged 11

Interesting birth record of a Charles Hamilton, father James Hamilton, mother Sarah Hamilton nee' SIMPSON. Wonder if James Hamilton and Charlotte were brother and sister and took in Rachel after her mothers death

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02819/2034126.pdf

SS

added, marriage of James Hamilton and Sarah Simpson

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11464/8213331.pdf

I am not aware of a Charlotte in this family.

They never fail to throw in a wobbly one.

Rachael of many names.

1890 Beckett nee Hamilton
1891 and 1893 Beckett nee Downey
1897 and 1906 Becket nee Simpson
1919 Becket nee Simpson
1949 Beckett nee Hamilton again

Is there any other information to pointing to Stuart Beckett as the father of James. Can I find out who he was married to?
Or is he just a possibility?

Thank you again

Yes, it's certainly a conundrum. Perhaps Rachel's fathers name could be John Downey

Good luck

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 March 24 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for adding that information for me. It's amazing how you guys and girls can find all this stuff when all I get is a.. Nothing found.
How you all manage it I'll never know.

Thank you all again for the kindness you've all shown.
David
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.