Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 270 times)

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What to do next?
« on: Friday 01 March 24 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Welsh paternal gt grandfather c1866 brick wall for years. Eventually succumbed to an Ancestry DNA test.

Results revealed 3 x 2nd-3rd cousin connections. Lowest one has no info on tree, the other two link to grandchildren of a common ancestor. Four 5th - 8th cousins are also linked to same two grandchildren.  Hardly any other connections to this side though.  No one has answered my friendly messages yet!

I have had this family in my Ancestry shoebox since 2010! Names, dates, locations and occupations are a fit, but my gt grandfather is nowhere to be found.
How should I proceed? The common ancestor had multiple siblings, do I explore them? My gt grandfather would have fitted in perfectly as the oldest son of 7 children in this family, but he is no where to be found until much later.

Hope this makes sense. I know nothing of DNA, learning as I go along. Do you need more specific info to advise?

Thank you

Bronwen 😊
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 24 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any siblings?

If so try to get them tested.

First Cousins, same again, DNA test those willing.

The first action with any family research is to prove your own parentage.

Then to verify Grandparents that is where the test First Cousins come in.

With your matches, if you look at the highest cM do each if the others show as a Shared Match to the highest cM and to you?

Build a tree(s) around them going back to their Great Great Grandparents.

Documents and certificates only show what the person declared to the Registrar and may or may not be correct, same with Census, unless one has DNA matches linking to eack xGGP then class them as unproven

This may seem onerous but I have an NPE in my family tree and it took over eight years family research before I took a DNA test and found it, it completely changed one line of my family tree.

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 24 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks. My only sibling has done a DNA test. I’ll confer with her. We have no first cousins. Thank you
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 24 23:22 GMT (UK) »

Your logic of stepping backwards one generation at a time doesn't always need to be followed.

For example, if you do a DNA test and immediately see matches to a bunch of known 2nd cousins, then not only are the the great-grandparents, but also at least one grandparent is also thereby validated.

This logic can be extended.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 March 24 08:09 GMT (UK) »

Your logic of stepping backwards one generation at a time doesn't always need to be followed.

For example, if you do a DNA test and immediately see matches to a bunch of known 2nd cousins, then not only are the the great-grandparents, but also at least one grandparent is also thereby validated.

Yes and No.

If your DNA result and the DNA of a sibling show that your relationship is only a Half Sibling then a First Cousin test is a nice to have to verify Grandparental lines.

In any case I knew of only two Second Cousins, neither of which were interested in our family tree and neither was interested in taking a DNA test.

One of my issues was it took well over three years trying to convince any Cousin to take a DNA test, we have an NPE and it is difficult to narrow it down.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 24 08:14 GMT (UK) »

Yes and No.

If your DNA result and the DNA of a sibling show that your relationship is only a Half Sibling then a First Cousin test is a nice to have to verify Grandparental lines.

In any case I knew of only two Second Cousins, neither of which were interested in our family tree and neither was interested in taking a DNA test.

One of my issues was it took well over three years trying to convince any Cousin to take a DNA test, we have an NPE and it is difficult to narrow it down.

All you are saying is that you didn't meet the conditions I set, namely
"if you do a DNA test and immediately see matches to a bunch of known 2nd cousins, then...."
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area