Author Topic: Upcoming changes to tools at AncestryDNA  (Read 1623 times)

Offline AnotherDay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming changes to tools at AncestryDNA
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 March 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Pro Tools was rolled out late in 2023, but apparently only to people with an Ancestry dot com account (i.e. people they think live in the USA). It costs $US10 a month.

Ancestry keeps saying one needs a family history membership/subscription to be eligible to subscribe to Pro Tools. One might, therefore, assume this means Pro Tools can't be added to an AncestryDNA Plus membership/subscription (also rolled out in recent months) - BUT...Ancestry hasn't specifically said this.

An Ancestry family history membership/subscription costs a lot of money. An AncestryDNA Plus membership/subscription is pretty cheap.

In addition, Ancestry is about to restructure its membership/subscription plans - apparently doing away with the regional options.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks, AnotherDay, for the clarification. As I live in UK I now realise why I have never heard of it. I have a world-wide subscription. I will be pretty miffed if I have to shell out more for so-called ProTools.

Offline AnotherDay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:25 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if this might be the new Ancestry membership/subscription regime (but you'll probably need to be logged out of Ancestry to see the details).

https://www.ancestry.com/offers/subscribe

Individual - Access all USA & international records on Ancestry
[$US24.99 by the month or $US21.99 per month (if you sign up for 6 months)]

Family – Access all USA & international records on Ancestry + 4 additional accounts
[$US39.99 by the month or $US32.99 per month (if you sign up for 6 months)]

Family Premier – All records on Ancestry, Fold3, Newspapers dot com, Publisher Extra + 4 additional accounts
[$US59.99 by the month or $US49.99 per month (if you sign up for 6 months)]

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I'll wait and see then decide. I'd pay more for a chromosome browser. I can hardly believe they have not thought of that one themselves. Mystery to me why they have not brought one out - at additional cost of course. :D

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 March 24 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Just been on Chat with Ancestry, the staff do not know when the Roll Out will be.

Just USA members have Pro Tools access at present, which personally I do not mind, best to let them be the Beta Testers.

Offline Dora Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 March 24 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Chat is with either a bot, that rarely knows much, or a CSR, who knows what a CSR in Ancestry's foreign customer service department would know.   

I mostly wanted to make sure I had the most up to date information.   Likely the date is up to IT.   I take it that video someone posted IS the only word on it ?

I wonder if it's even true?

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 March 24 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Just been on Chat with Ancestry, the staff do not know when the Roll Out will be.

Just USA members have Pro Tools access at present, which personally I do not mind, best to let them be the Beta Testers.

I signed up to Pro Tools for a month to see if it was any good.  You just need to log in with your UK account on the dot com website.  It will leave you log in and have it.

I did not see it worth the money, as there are other tools like FTAnalyser that will do the same and for free.

I found the Ancestry tool tried to say I had duplicate entries on my tree, even though they were not duplicates.  They were simular names with silular DOB.

I fed back to Ancestry what I felt of their Pro Tools and they did refund me the $10. which was around £7.

Hywel

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry Pro Tools requires an active Ancestry family history membership. Pro Tools provides access to advanced family history tools, including:

Tree Checker: Find potential duplicates and possible errors in your tree.
Charts and Reports: Create and share detailed family histories.
Advanced Filters: Search, group, and sort people in your tree using key details beyond names.
Map Views: See where people in your tree lived in relation to one another.

Access to paid records, other members’ family trees, and premium DNA features are not included.
For me the above is not worth it, my genealogy family tree software does this. 

It is the Gedmatch DNA tools that Ancestry needs and vastly better search filtering tools.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 12:10 GMT (UK) »

I signed up to Pro Tools for a month to see if it was any good.  You just need to log in with your UK account on the dot com website.  It will leave you log in and have it.

I did not see it worth the money, as there are other tools like FTAnalyser that will do the same and for free.

I found the Ancestry tool tried to say I had duplicate entries on my tree, even though they were not duplicates.  They were simular names with silular DOB.

I fed back to Ancestry what I felt of their Pro Tools and they did refund me the $10. which was around £7.

Hywel
When was this, I think they have just added several new features to it?