Author Topic: East Sutton COOK records mid 1700's  (Read 175 times)

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Sutton COOK records mid 1700's
« on: Saturday 02 March 24 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Observation- there is no batch reference on Family Search for this parish.
Unfortunately there is no one data base covering the surrounding parishes that might ordinarily help in finding people moving around.
There are three baptisms associated with William COOK and Dorothy HAMMOND who married in 2 March 1735( corrected)
John 30 Jan 1736  in East Sutton
Elizabeth 12 Nov I738 in  Chart Sutton
Dorothy 2 Jan 1742  In East Sutton
Does the PR of the marriage indicate the status of both bride and groom?
There is also earlier baptisms with parents William and Mary ( possibly Mary   WEEKS m in Aylesford 1731)
Anne 1 Apr 1732 in East Sutton
Elizabeth 1 Apr 1732 in East Sutton
Are these children described as twins ?
John 27 Mar 1733  in East Sutton
Anne 4 Jan  1735 in East Sutton
Are there any burial records of either Mary  or the two children that might suggest this is the same William.
A further baptism of an Ann  17 May 1741 in East Sutton is transcribed with parents William and Sarah, but it is not clear whether this is a PR or possibly a mis transcribed AT or BT record fir the mother.
A much earlier baptism of a William 1702 seems likely to be one of if not the William COOK.
Is this the complete list of COOK's from the East Sutton area.?
A Dorothy COOK and Thomas BURDEN are understood to witnesses at a marriage of Ann COOK in 1766, Believed to be the Ann COOK bapt 1741, A Dorothy COOK and Thomas BURDEN married In 1767, possibly indicating a close family relationship, adding some doubt to the mother of Ann being recorded as Sarah.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: East Sutton COOK records mid 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 24 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, PJWELLS,

I have checked the original register of East Sutton for the marriage of William Cook and Dorothy Hammond and attach a copy of the image for you.  It is the last entry on the image.  Generally speaking, marriages pre-1754 don't include marital status and the banns aren't recorded formally in registers - at least not ones that were ever microfilmed.

I would suggest that you sign up on https://www.findmypast.co.uk/ as that site has the original parish registers for East Sutton, Chart Sutton and Aylesford.  Even doing a search for Cook within a narrow geographical area may help you determine quicker if there were any other baptisms, burials and marriages.

I hope this helps.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Sutton COOK records mid 1700's
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you your help, Zachtr, I will look at FindMyPast as you suggest.