Author Topic: Machine Gun Corps Help please  (Read 696 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Machine Gun Corps Help please
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 March 24 00:12 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was also in the Machine Gun Corp in WW!

I was lucky enough to find his service records had survived the war BUT there is very little on there about the MGC part. In fact there is a section with approximately 9 months with no information (October 1916 to July 1917) .............. the record jumps from when he was transferred to the MGC, and then boarding a ship in Bombay to get to "Mesopotamia" which is basically the Iran/Iraq area.

I have discovered that the MGC has lots of secrets tied up with it. It was set up in 2015, and took infantry men who were good with machine guns, whether that be from battalions in the field or straight out of training, as happened to my grandfather. But it is what happened after the war that is very strange. The MGC was disbanded in late 1919 or early 1920, and the records stored at Battalion Headquarters near Folkestone, but there then was a fire in February that literally destroyed every single piece of paper.

A group of 100,000 men and officers formed and then disbanded, and almost nothing to show for the fact they did exist.

It's very hard to find out where the MGC Battalions fought, although I have records of my grandfather being in and out of hospital in Baghdad and Ramadia with minor injuries and then flu.

Unfortunately, my mother's younger brother inherited all my grandfather's medals, photos and whatever documents he had, and I had already moved to Canada. After my uncle died, his wife burnt everything without contacting me .......... I was by that point the only grandchild alive as my brother had died a couple of years previously. We had been the only grandchildren.
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 March 24 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Of interest there is the Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades Association [MGC/OCA] who have a facebook group.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 March 24 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There is also a website

Regimental Association dedicated to preserving the memory of the men who served in the Machine Gun Corps (MGC) during WW1.
www.machineguncorps.co.uk
Covers MGC Infantry, Cavalry, Motors, Naval Brigade and Heavy Branch which was father of the Tank Corps. All are discussed here.
PLEASE NOTE: I OFTEN COPY ITEMS FROM THIS PAGE TO OUR MAGAZINE, IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO REPRODUCE WORDS OR PHOTOGRAPHS, PLEASE TELL ME.

Also try Graham Sacker's database https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/d9e38bfe-ef6d-4174-a108-579f7f64311f
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 March 24 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Deleted

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 March 24 11:15 GMT (UK) »

It was actually disbanded in July 1922

[/quote]
. The MGC was disbanded in late 1919 or early 1920, and the records stored at Battalion Headquarters near Folkestone, but there then was a fire in February that literally destroyed every single piece of paper.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 March 24 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction regiment / battalion wise so I could at least tell mum what he got up to

Per the medical report I mentioned, he was in 15th (or possibly 13th) battalion "MGC PS"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at ShaunJ's snippet I believe it says 15th. Machine Gun Coy. rather than Btn.
The 15th. Btn. MGC was made up of the MG Coys. of the Scottish Regt's.
His number indicates he went probably late 1916 as he doesn't have the 6 digit no.
of the 7/Londons issued in early 1917.
The first 3000 MGC no's. went to the motorised MGC so the first no. for the Coys. was 3001.
Your man had no. 141412.
The 15 Coy. became the 5th. Btn. MGC in April 1918.
Looking at his date of entry into the Gen. Hospital (Sept. 3rd.)
I would suggest one of these two battles.
The Second Battles of the Somme 1918 in phases
The Battle of Albert (under IV Corps) (21-23 August)
The Second Battle of Bapaume (IV Corps) (31 August – 3 September)

Courtesy of the LLT.
15/MG Coy. was originally in the 15th. Bde. 5th. Div.
In April 1918 became the 5th. Btn. MGC 95th. Bde. in the same Div.
The War Diary states there were 57 casualties for the month of August
& 97 in Sept.
That's my take on it.
As an aside if it is the 13th. they did exactly the same as the 15th.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Nickna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 March 24 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness. You’re all amazing!! I’ve just managed to log on after running after my three year old all day and what a fab surprise. Thanks to you all for taking time
out to respond.

Sylvia I’m so sorry to hear about the document destruction- how heartbreaking.

Andy J2022 thanks so my for details on his earlier history. A great line of enquiry for me to pick up that I hadn’t realised existed.

ShaunJ and Jim1 that’s just fantastic, thank you so much for the information my mum is going to be thrilled.

Interestingly I have just read a little about the Battle of Bapaume and there is reference to a railway line - so maybe the old family story about him his leg after a train ran over it was true after all. Frustratingly it feels like one of those mysteries that may never be sold thanks to the faulty comprehensive loss of papers.

Thanks for the Facebook group tip youngtug, I’ll join and, needle in a haystack I know, but see whether anyone knows anything at all.

I’ve added a photo of William. I’ve had to compress it so I’m hoping it’s clear. The photographer very kindly tried to hide his lost leg but having him stand by a pillar, but you can just see that his left trouser leg is pinned up.

Thank you all so much, whilst I can’t give my lovely mum her definitive answer, at least I can fill in some of the blanks for her. Really appreciate it !