Author Topic: 1703 HCA case of Captain William Pead - evidence given in Dutch or Danish?  (Read 190 times)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am at present transcribing a case involving the Privateer Captain William Pead operating out of Barbados on his Brigandine 'Dragon'. This is an appeal to the High Court of Admiralty ( which he lost ) and involves a man who claimed he was a naturalised citizen of the King of Denmark. One page is in another language to English ( see attachment ) but when I put it into the translator it seems not to translate from Dutch ( which is what the translator says it is and then cannot translate it ) or Danish. It may be that I have transcribed the words wrongly from the handwriting or that this being a case in the early 1700s that the language is archaic. It is relatively short a section in a long case.

Is anyone adept enough to be able to attempt 1. a transcript and identify the language and 2. translate it ?? I am afraid it is beyond me.

many thanks
John

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1703 HCA case of Captain William Pead - evidence given in Dutch or Danish?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 24 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Definitely Dutch! But maybe an older version of Dutch?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 24 10:03 GMT (UK) »
It is indeed 'older Dutch'. In this handwriting the distinction between the letters E and O is not always easy to make. The spelling is sometimes odd, but that's how one can expect. But other than that, this text was easy to read und understand for me :)
The Latin part at the bottom remains partly unclear, but it states that the document is a real copy and was registered by a certain Sayers, if I'm correct.

Sijn Cooninge Maijesteit Tot Deenemarck, Noorwegen als mede oock
het Hooghloff Cooningh Daensse Octroijerede West-Indisse en Guineisse Compagnie Bestalter vice Commendant
over Sint Thomas, Sint Jan en andere omlegghende Eijlande.

Ick Johan Lorentz maecke hiermede aen alle en iede
bekent dat toonder deses, Captain Manuell Manasses Gillegan Cooningh Daensse
habitant en inwoonder hier opt Eijlant Sint Thomas, dour deese mijn zee-pass in den tijdt van ses maenden met
sijn voerende barque, Carolus Secundus genoemt, van hier naer d'omlegghende Eijlanden te gaen om sijn eerlijcke naeringhe
te soeken van mij gepermilleert is. Als is mijn respective diensten vriendelijck versoeck, aen alle en iede Hooghe ende Nedrighe
civil- en militair bedienten van wat standt en conditie sij mooghen weesen, en insonderheijt wiens Heeren met mijn Allergenaedigste
Cooningh en Heer in vreede en vriendschap leeven dat sij voorseid Capitain Manuell Manasses Gillegan met gamelde barque
in hebbende volck en goederen vrij en ongehindert wilden pass- en repasseren ende hem, so het van noden was, alle mooghelijcke
assistence gemeten lacten sul wederom tegkens alle en jade in diergelijcke ofte andere mooghelijcke occasien te demereeren ben
Erbiedigh Heeren onder sijn Cooningh Maijesteit deeses Eijlants gegeevene Zigill ende mijn handt. Actum Christiansfort opt
eijlant Sint Thomas den negenden octobris anno een duijsent seven hundert en een.
Lorents
B. Solten Secretaris

vera copia ...
P. Nich Sayers register curice
adm

His Majesty's the King of Denmark, Norway and also the Danish West India Company's officially employed vice commander of the Isles of Saint Thomas, Saint John & other surrounding islands.

I Johan Lorentz make hereby known to everyone that the holder of this document, Captain Manuell Manasses Gillegan, Danish citizen & inhabitant of the Isle of Saint Thomas, is granted a 'sea pass' for the next 6 months, allowing him to do his honest business on his barque 'Carolus Secundus'.
I request all high and low civil and military servants, especially those whose masters are living in peace and friendship with my King, to let the said Gilligan with his said barque, crew and goods pass unhindered, and assist him whenever & wherever needed.
Approved by me with His Royal Majesty's seal.
Done in Christiansfort on the said Isle of Saint Thomas on 9th of October 1701.
Lorents
B. Solten, secretary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_West_India_Company

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 24 11:59 GMT (UK) »
The Latin part at the bottom remains partly unclear, but it states that the document is a real copy and was registered by a certain Sayers, if I'm correct.

Vera Copia Exam(inata)
p(er) Nicho(las) Sayers Register Curiæ
Adm(iralita)tis

A true copy, examined by Nicholas Sayers, Registrar of the Court of Admiralty

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 24 12:18 GMT (UK) »

Vera Copia Exam(inata)
p(er) Nicho(las) Sayers Register Curiæ
Adm(iralita)tis

A true copy, examined by Nicholas Sayers, Registrar of the Court of Admiralty

Bookbox, thank you for solving this. Believe it or not, but when I saw this Latin part, my first thought was to ask you for help.  ;)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 24 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Zefiro,

I had a similar thought about you when I saw the Old Dutch!
Modern Dutch I struggle with, after 16 years living in Utrecht, but Old Dutch defeats me. ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 24 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. I sometimes wonder what I would do without the people on RootsChat. Although I have many expertise in genealogy, languages has always been my downfall. I think it comes from terrible school language lessons in my deep dark past !