Author Topic: William Henry Ketley  (Read 226 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
William Henry Ketley
« on: Sunday 03 March 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Commonwealth War Graves Commission are appealing for blood relatives of Stoker 1 st Class William Henry Ketley - Royal Navy - died 15/2/1919 - buried Holy Trinity New Churchyard. Queenborough.

The Commission is in the process of producing a special memorial to commemorate him because it is not possible to mark his grave.

https://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19999.0

If you are related or know of someone who is, CWGC would like to hear from you.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Ketley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 24 20:22 GMT (UK) »
William Henry Ketley dob 24th May 1881 Queensborough, Kent and was a deep sea fisherman.

SS

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 24 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Some background details here for him https://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19999.0

From this, one of the posts on the thread states:

Following William's death in 1919,  of the ten children born to John and Eliza Ketley only Emily (now Emily Payne) remained alive. Many of them did not reach the age of 1.

Also:

Emily had four boys and three girls. Their surname is Payne. There are no direct descendants from William's father as his brothers died unmarried.

So, seeing if Emily's children and descendants can be traced might be the only way forward?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
In a linked post on the Sussex history site, 'Kyn' posted about Harold, brother to William who died in WW1 (1916) http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18173.msg76447#msg76447

'Kyn' mentions on this thread:

This is information I gathered some time ago and he is a relative.  I haven't been able to find any other information about him, so if anyone knows any more information I would be very happy to hear from them.

I wonder how close a relative to the Ketley family?

Monica

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I copied the CWGC message onto the Kent & Sussex board as I recalled Kyn posting about him. CWGC are aware of her being a relation as she has been trying for some 2 years to get a memorial/gravestone for him as currently he is only on the Queenborough War Memorial. Looks like she has finally succeeded and is going to jog the CWGC memory that they have a relation already. Thanks to Sandra for posting the request
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear  :)

Monica