Author Topic: Immigrating and Returning Home  (Read 682 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrating and Returning Home
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 24 12:09 GMT (UK) »
My own grandfather left England for Canada after WW1, and my own father was born there, in the early 1920s. There were already family over there, mostly Isherwoods, but others, too. Think most of the Isherwoods moved to U.S.A. eventually.
Before WW2 my grandparents returned, taking up farming in an area they didn't know well, and my father stayed in Britain for the rest of his days, but he'd always hoped to return to Canada. Never did.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrating and Returning Home
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 March 24 12:41 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of to-ings and fro-ings in my lot.

My aunt followed her prospective husband to New Zealand in 1953. The couple returned to the UK in 1957 and my cousin was born here. In 1967 they took the £10 trip to Australia, then went on from there to NZ. In the mid 70s the family returned to the UK.

I also have relatives in Nova Scotia. Several siblings emigrated with their families in the very early 20th century, and most headed back to the UK for visits before the Great War. Some visits were quite lengthy. One couple's fourth child was born on this side of the pond in 1910. Other siblings visited Canada after the Great War, and some even stayed there.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.