Author Topic: Charles Senior, born Leeds abt 1846  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Senior, born Leeds abt 1846
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Lance - if you go to https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ you'll note the following adverts:

Saturday 17 July 1858
Huddersfield Chronicle
"...John Gilchrist, watchmaker..."

Saturday 16 July 1859
Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner
"WATCH-MAKING ESTABLISHMENT 19 MARKET HUDDERSFIELD JOHN GILCHRIST BEGS to inform friends and public centrally of Huddersfield and surrounding neighbourhood that HE HAS OPENED THE ABOVE SHOP ..."

There's also a report about a Mr Furnace delivering a watch to John Gilchrist to repair. The report also mentions John jnr, about 16 or 17 years of age. See below...

Saturday 13 December 1862
Huddersfield Chronicle

For adverts one doesn't need to fully view the snippets to get a sense of the person and firm in question.
BNA offers 3 free newspaper views if you create a free account with them. In fact, some newspaper content is free to view, but you must be logged in to your account to view those reports/adverts.

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I wonder if husband and wife went their separate ways. John in Leeds and Margaret in Huddersfield.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 13:20 GMT (UK) »
He may have just been expanding the business in Leeds. No separation at that marital stage?

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Another random question. Did Charles Senior have a relative called Sam Senior.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious...are you related to the Senior family, or the Gilchrist family? And can you define "relative" please. Do you mean a brother, uncle, son?

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:36 GMT (UK) »
My interest is through the Gilchrist family line. In 1891 The Gilchrist family are lodging with brother in law, Charles Senior.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Ashtone regarding the husband John Gilchrist in New York .On one of the children's birth certificates it has place of birth for the father as Edinburgh ..Not been able to find anything else on John after 1880 census maybe Sandra can help
Rosie

The children of John & Elizabeth Gilchrist (1870-1880 census) appear in the New York Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms collection on FindMyPast. I wonder if both parents were Catholic, or just one of them?

Post 1880 census, there's an RC baptism for son George W Gilchrist (born Dec 1881).

Also, as Elizabeth Gilchrist (nee Carey) was from St John, Newfoundland I wonder if there's a Canadian marriage record (circa late 1860s) for her and John? Although there's always the issue of bigamy, if her John Gilchrist is also the watchmaker from Leeds and Huddersfield.

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If John did go to New York, there should be his records leaving the UK and arriving in the USA.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 15:05 GMT (UK) »
There are US Passenger records on Family Search - have you searched those records yet? There are quite a few records for passengers named John Gilchrist (born Scotland) from 1860-1870.

Possibility he may have traveled to Canada instead, then settled in NYC. You'd have to check Canadian passenger records, if they're online. Ancestry have the Canada, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 collection. You can search that, even without a subscription.

NOTE: There are no comprehensive collections of passenger lists before 1865. Most Canadian passenger lists date from 1865 to 1935.