Author Topic: John Bunyan Parsonage 1850 - 1928  (Read 538 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Bunyan Parsonage 1850 - 1928
« on: Monday 04 March 24 18:10 GMT (UK) »
The older photograph is from a bundle of Parsonage documents inherited from John Bunyan Parsonage's son Geoffrey 1897 - 1994. Can it please be dated and confirm if it is someone who was born in 1850?

I also have a picture from an ancestry tree, confirmed to be J B Parsonage in later life; do you think it is the same man.?

Thanks.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: John Bunyan Parsonage 1850 - 1928
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 03:26 GMT (UK) »
I can see a few advertisements for H GRAYSON photographer at 11 New Market St, Blackburn around 1888.  I think the man in the portrait looks to be in his 30s, so the timing is quite possible.

At first I thought they were 2 different men, but the more I look the more I see similarities - the shape of the ears and nose in particular.  :-\

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Same chap in my opinion ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I agree with maddys and sparrett. Could well be the same man. Difficult to be certain, given the beard on one and the hat on the other hiding chin and forehead. Ears and nose are larger on the older man but they tend to elongate as we age, when cartilage frames weaken and the skin over them sags (ain't it fun!). The eyes and around the eyes are clearly well matched for one person say 40 or more years apart.

Not a dating expert but I'd go with mid to late 1880s. While full beards were going out of fashion, some men retained them from their youth, while short hair and small collars fit that era, I think.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 05:26 GMT (UK) »
It is not really possible to see to match the shape of mouth, or chin, or shape of jawline, or hairline. However, in my opinion, the left ear is a perfect match - so the same man in both photos.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your answers, helps clear up who the sitter is.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Meant to add earlier that Harry GRAYSON was born c1859 in Melton Mowray, in 1881 he is a photographer in Lichuch, Derbyshire, and in 1891 a photographer in Blackburn (with family). Just to help with dating a little better.  :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 08:45 GMT (UK) »
John Bunyan Parsonage lived in the Liverpool area till sometime between 1901 & 1911 when he moved to Croydon, Surrey. However, I am pretty sure I was told he worked as a bookkeeper in the Heyrod Steel Works near Stalybridge [now demolished]. I am trying to find a Blackburn connection.

I inherited these pictures and other Parsonage documents and have located a distant relative via ancestry so am sending them to him.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I noticed his name in a few newspaper articles - in lists of curious names. However one mentioned that he had appeared in Ealing Police Court "recently" in March 1900.