Author Topic: Call-up if colour blind  (Read 287 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Call-up if colour blind
« on: Monday 04 March 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
My grandad was born in 1909 so he'd be 30 years old when WW2 broke out.  He worked as a miner in a coal pit owned by the local steelworks.  He was married with four children.  I have always assumed that he was in a reserved occupation, but did that automatically mean he wasn't called up?  I've recently been looking into WW1 tribunals about call-up and that was very interesting.
Or, would he have failed a medical because he was colour blind?  I've tried searching Google but all the results seem to be American.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Call-up if colour blind
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 24 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Examples of reserved occupations in the Second World War included coal mining, ship building, railway and dockworkers, farmers, teachers, doctors and lighthouse keepers.

Haven't found anything yet about excluding someone who was colour blind, except:
"In World War II, color blind observers were used to penetrate camouflage."

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 24 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Examples of reserved occupations in the Second World War included coal mining, ship building, railway and dockworkers, farmers, teachers, doctors and lighthouse keepers.

Haven't found anything yet about excluding someone who was colour blind, except:
"In World War II, color blind observers were used to penetrate camouflage."
Now that looks like a rabbit hole to dive into! Thank you
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 24 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Colour blindness I believe meant that the RN was not possible, and probably also flying duties. It wouldn't preclude army or ground-based RAF service. Mining was a reserved occupation.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Colour blindness I believe meant that the RN was not possible, and probably also flying duties. It wouldn't preclude army or ground-based RAF service. Mining was a reserved occupation.

Certain ground-based trades could have been barred to colour blindness:

Electrical and Electronic because of colour coding on wiring and components.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
My late OH was conscripted into the RAF (air force)  1956.  He was found to be colour blind (unfortunately I can't recall which colour his eyes didn't register).  He was in the fire brigade.

At the time he was conscripted he worked on the land with day release to the local agricultural college.  He went to the local pub to celebrate, a stranger offered him a drink which he accepted and the stranger then announced that he (my OH) had accepted the King's Shilling which meant he had been conscripted into HM forces. !!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke