Author Topic: Fanny Culverhouse and son Henry arrival 1841  (Read 491 times)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Culverhouse and son Henry arrival 1841
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Sister Sarah Culverhouse married Richard Turner 7 February 1839 Trowbridge
His father William - Weaver
Her father Samuel - Weaver
Witness Samuel Reynolds (sister Elizabeth's husband) and Fanny Culverhouse - her other sister.

This marriage apparently did not work out as she goes to USA as Culverhouse with Samuel and Fanny

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 07:58 GMT (UK) »
AlgarvePete, after your initial post, I searched (Anc*try) for them in 1850, using various search terms…with no results.  Perhaps Fanny (and Sarah) married prior to 1850 and her son took on her husband’s surname.  But, unless the census image with Samuel’s details is unreadable, I’m surprised that he has not yet been found which is why I’m wondering if they sailed back to England.  Have you found Fanny Galup/Gallup in 1850?  I didn’t try as many variations with her details but I couldn’t find her in 1850, nor, after a somewhat quick search, could I find her father.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, we are going off course here, I have all Samuels details (except his first wife Emma French), and have all his descendants, he as far as I can see did not return to England. If any of the others had returned I am sure I would have found them by now.
Sarah who married Richard Turner emigrated to Australia with him arriving New South Wales 9 Nov 1840, that is why we have a mystery Sarah with Fanny and Samuel arriving America.
Was there an 1850 Massachusetts census or are there sections missing ? This would hold the clues. Thanks all for your interest and help. I have almost 5000 Culverhouse's in my data base about 20% North America/USA. Thanks again, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for asking about Fanny Galup/Gallup.  Since I had not yet found Samuel/the others in 1850, I was hoping that if we found Fanny G in 1850, Samuel might be found nearby which as you say, could lead us to Fanny.

There was an 1850 Massachusetts census. I scrolled through 38 pages of Framingham (or was it Williamsburg, I don’t remember) in search of the missing folks.  The penmanship on those images was a bit “messy” but nothing resembled your Culverhouse folks.  Perhaps other census pages might also be difficult to read.  Also, while trying to read the pages, I found two instances where only given names were written down with something like “surname unknown” written after the given names.  Perhaps that happened elsewhere, for your folks?

Personally, I found amondg‘s findings helpful but perhaps that’s because I think knowing all details is beneficial when searching for very elusive folks.  I wonder if Fanny and/or Sarah were in New York at some point.

You are very welcome for the help.  I just wish I could have found something for you.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)