Author Topic: Children's Homes in Rotherham 1939  (Read 361 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children's Homes in Rotherham 1939
« on: Tuesday 05 March 24 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yesterday, with the help of Rosie99, I learnt how to do an address search for the 1939 Register on Ancestry.  Since then I have searched the addresses of what I believe to be children's homes but can't find any of them! Can anyone else see something I'm missing?

I have found on the internet a list showing the homes in 1933 which were run by the Rotherham Public Assistance Committee 1933.
These are the addresses
35 /37 St Ann's Road
Central Home, Easthill, Doncaster Road
121 Westgate
104 Clough Road

I know a lot of the names  will still probably redacted but is it likely that Children's homes just weren't listed on the 1939 Register?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Homes in Rotherham 1939
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I tried searching Rotherham and inmate, it did get a result for an unknown property in Doncaster Road with lots of children and a couple of foster mothers.  Try searching Harriet Stobie to get the page

ADDED It does not seem to have a problem listing the occupants of the Public Assistance Institution in Rotherham  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I tried searching Rotherham and inmate, it did get a result for an unknown property in Doncaster Road with lots of children and a couple of foster mothers.  Try searching Harriet Stobie to get the page

ADDED It does not seem to have a problem listing the occupants of the Public Assistance Institution in Rotherham  :-\

The property was almost certainly Central Home, Easthill, Doncaster Road.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou again rosie99 - I have found Harriet (Gibson) Stobie and where she is living does appear to be some sort of home for girls. It is in Doncaster Road. which was one of the addresses I had found.

Also your other suggestion of using the phrase 'public assistance institution' does give many, many names some of which are redacted so likely to be younger inmates. Interestingly the address of this institution is 42 Alma Road. This I know was also at some point in the 1930's listed as a children's home.

Thanks also KGarrad for looking, I tried to work out the address but it obscured. I thought the end of the word may have said 'worth'

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 18:45 GMT (UK) »
The Alma Road Homes were replaced in 1934 by Oaklea, 104 Clough Road.

See: https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/RotherhamBC/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
42 Alma Road was part of the premises of the former Workhouse, which later became Moorgate Hospital.  They probably did not wish to retain a children's home on that site.

See this map of 1934, SW corner:

Alma Road is on the north side of P.A. Institution and Infirmary.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125650747

amended

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The home on Doncaster Road is at the top edge of the same map, continues on this sheet.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125650702

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I can see now - looking at the maps attached by MollyC how there might be sections within  such enormous accommodation that would be set aside for children's care.

The site on Alma Road is huge! Looking at the maps, it makes it easy to see just how close many of the  addresses, identified as Children's homes, were actually quite close together. Also the Doncaster Road home is actually named as a Children's home. 

KGarrad - thanks for the update of the change of location from Alma Road. I guess public buildings were always being re-purposed as needs changed. Thanks everyone 

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Alma Road was huge because it had been a Poor Law Union Workhouse until 1930.  That is, it served a large area of more than 20 parishes, managed by a Board of Guardians.  Originally the unions were the same areas as the registration districts set up in 1837.  In 1930 powers were handed to County Boroughs and County Councils instead.  There must have been some kind of interim arrangements, but it appears that most children had been dispersed to smaller units for some time previously.  The West Riding County Council would have had to make arrangements for its population, and both councils would begin to provide smaller homes for the elderly as well.