Author Topic: Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?  (Read 848 times)

Offline CrystalPalace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?
« on: Tuesday 05 March 24 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find the baptism for my GGG grandfather, William Morris.

I have only a few facts:

He married Sarah Crayford at Elham Kent in 1836 - so no father's name.

His children's baptisms suggest the family were living in Reculver from 1840, (1841 census for this parish missing) and wife Sarah buried there 1846.

In the 1851 census, William is still in Reculver, widower, age 39, birthplace 'Milton, Kent'. I've tried Milton, Sittingbourne and Milton, Gravesend + surrounding parishes but can't find any William Morris'  baptised 1809-1815,  nor even any likely families.

So I just wondered how much reliance I should put on the Milton connection, without the corroboration of subsequent census records?

Perhaps I should add that I can't confirm a death either, although by 1861, the family are dispersed, the eldest married (doesn't say father deceased on certificate) and the youngest are at sea, one went as a cabin boy in 1859, age 13.

How accurate have you found birthplace info in your experience?

Grateful for any insights

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 23:00 GMT (UK) »
What was the occupation of William? If it was connected with the water I can see how he might have moved from Milton to Reculver but how did he get married in Eltham?

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ancestry is showing a baptism of a William Morris on 26 March 1811 at Linton, Kent (parents Thos and Mary)

Could this be of interest?

Alan

Offline CrystalPalace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all
Sorry, I should have called it Milton Regis not next to Sittingbourne in my original post but there's no Morris' there that I can find.

William was a labourer (1851) but did wonder about the Reculver connection not just the maritime aspect (Coastguard stations?) but because there was an extended family called Morris already in Reculver and though I've traced the family back  from early 1700s to mid 1800s, I've not been able to see likely parents for William.

Also- and this just adds to my confusion, William's granddaughter Eliza Hopkins marries a James Harlow who is in fact the GG grandson of a John Harlow and Hannah Morris who were both baptised, married and died at Reculver.

Not only did William get married in Elham but so did his eldest daughter Sarah (1860 John Hopkins)

I seem to have coincidences but can't find connections!

I did see the William Morris born Linton and the date fits but is a long way from Elham - do Milton and Linton sound sufficiently alike to be confused?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline StefanD99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 March 24 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if this helpful, but FS has four listings for William and Sarah's marriage in Kent in 1836. Three are for Elham and one for Elstone, 13 miles from Elham, between Reculver and Elham.
Stefan
Oh! What a tangled web we perceive,
where ancestors try to hide and deceive.

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 March 24 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Regrettably, I don't know the area, however it seems to me that -

1. William Morris's wife Sarah Crayford was baptised 8 Feb 1818 at Selling, Kent daughter of William and Susan Crayford.
2. He and Sarah's first born Mary Ann Morris was baptised at St Peter and St Paul Church, Upper Hardres Court  on 1 Sept 1839 (Free Reg).
3, Mary Ann then married on 8 May 1859 at Fordwich, Kent  to William Homersham.
4. One of the Family Search records a marriage at Elmstone, Kent on 17 April 1836 and not as originally thought.

All these places are fairly closer together on Google Maps surrounding Canterbury so my thinking is that perhaps the search should be concentrated on that specific area?

Does this make sense?

Alan

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
What was the occupation of William? If it was connected with the water I can see how he might have moved from Milton to Reculver but how did he get married in Eltham?

ELHAM, not Eltham.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 March 24 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Another few thoughts -

William (born 1811) and Sarah's second child was named Thomas Morris (baptised 12 Feb 1841 at Reculver). This could be following a naming pattern for the first two children, following the potential father Thomas Morris (born in Linton in 1788; died there 1833) and his wife Mary (1788-1873), suggesting maybe this is the right path?

I think also that William's potential father Thomas married Mary Horton in 1810 and that William was their first born - they had many other children (including a George in 1814) which was the name of William and Mary Ann's third child.

A number of trees on Ancestry have tied the family is to what I believe is a different William Morris -born 1815 in High Halden and have him dying in Pluckley in 1892, He also has children named Mary A and Thomas but they like their father were born High Halden and the ages don't quite fit.

The more  i look at this the more I feel the William Morris in Linton seems a really good candidate. I  cannot see any other close possibility.

If you were to consider this and examine it closer, then there are trees on Ancestry going back a lot earlier (assuming they are correct of course)

Alan