Author Topic: Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?  (Read 849 times)

Offline CrystalPalace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, so helpful to have other opinions/insights. 

It's interesting that the Linton baptism has been highlighted.

As part of my efforts to identify William, I compiled a list of all William Morris' born Kent 1809-1815 and tried to exclude on basis of marriage/death records and census entries - I was left with a shortlist of about 16 possibilities which included  Linton baptism!

I had looked at this family and found that most stayed around the Maidstone area initially though some emigration to Australia but I couldn't find any records in the area for William so currently he is in the 'most likely' category and am going to focus my research on this Morris family.

Do you think its possible that the Milton birthplace recorded  on the 1851 census could be an error by enumerator?

Thanks so much for your help

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace of William Morris on 1851 Census - how reliable?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 24 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In those days of illiteracy etc, I would imagine its easy to mix up Linton and Milton. Similarly a mix up between Eltham and Elmstone is potentially on the cards.

There is a Morris family Tree on Ancestry and it could be worth your while contacting them if you are an Ancestry member.

Their list of children to Thomas and Mary starts with George 1814 but they have either overlooked the birth of William in 1811 but never realised William is part of the family.

By the first census in 1841 William has gone his own way and married Sarah etc so it would be reasonable to not have picked him up from the early census details.

The birth dates tie in nicely for the Thomas/Mary marriage so if it was me I would contact the tree owner for his views.

Alan