Author Topic: Alonzo Goodhead - Inheritance information  (Read 1711 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alonzo Goodhead - Inheritance information
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 March 24 02:13 GMT (UK) »
"there was an unnamed newspaper article in 1926 which gave details of Alonzo's estate held in trust by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in England which was then worth several millions of pounds sterling".

This sounds to me very much like a scam that has been running since the 1800s.  Postings in newspapers as 'proof' that the money existed were common.  These threads pop up occasionally and I haven't seen one turn out to be true yet.  Typical signs that this is not true:
1) No sign of any adminstration or probate recordd
2) No sign of any newspaper or gazette records (the government would have to publish something, and big unclaimed estates always make the news)
3) Family being contacted a long time after the death

Here is an article from 1930 about these sort of frauds.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/97669661

According to this, the entire amount of money held in Chancery waiting for claiming in 1930 was 1.5 million pounds.  That's the total, across 6000 estates most of which were worth nothing. It's not possible that in 1926 there was a fortune awaiting anybody worth several million quid.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14529214
 - an example of two brothers who ended up stranded in England after responding to one of these articles for an inheritance that didn't exist.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 March 24 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I've also been wondering if this isn't quite correct. The Chancellor of the Exchequer is a politician, not a judge, and isn't (such is the way of things) linked to the Court of Chancery, which is where such issues would have been litigated.
Rather differently, I have memoirs from my great-aunt who claimed that her grandfather owned most of Cheapside in the City of London in the late 18th century. Those memoirs, written in the 1970s, are often correct but often not so; the only thing I can find about this City figure is that he was in a debtors' prison! A distant cousin placed lots of adverts in newspapers of the late 19th century selling shares in goldfields in Australia and India; these appear to have been fraudulent and the printed version of the phone calls we now get from scammers claiming to be Microsoft, or 'your broadband company,' or whatever.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 March 24 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you re scams etc.  I also wondered about the amount and date - 1926!  I'm just about to try and get hold of my friend to find out if Bob remembers more detail.  His memory is deteriorating more than with older age but because he has vascular dementia .. similar to Alzeimher's.  The information he gave me was something he had put together several years ago.  He (Bob)  definitely was part recipient of the family estate through Winifred Goodhead marrying hihs great-great grandfather.  I'll be in touch with you all.  Thanks again.  You have all been so helpful!  😀 Alice

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 March 24 17:34 GMT (UK) »
It will be interesting to hear if there is real proof, Alice.
My grandfather used to talk of an inheritance for his grandfather and that it had to go ‘in and out of chancery’ and his aunts had taken it all!
After family research, I found the person and the will in question - no problems and grandad’s grandfather had inherited £10 a year from his older sister! This was in 1870s.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 April 24 11:10 BST (UK) »
Re Goodhead Inheritance

Thank you everyone for your advice and assistance.  I checked further with my friend but sadly his memory isn't very good now and can't remember anything really relevant to the situation, except there is no proof available.  There is one more thing I'm trying but I think it best to now close this chat as it looks pretty much like a dead end.  I have told my friend's wife the information you have all given me and she appreciates all the help I've had through this medium.   So.. thank you everyone.  I'll say bye for now and thank you all so much!  Sincerely, Alice

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 April 24 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone who has helped me with the above.  I've finally checked out all the information you have given me but have been unsuccessful in finding what I was looking for.  My friend is deteriorating with his dementia so probably not much more help from him.  I have come to the conclusion that I can't go any further with this subject so am closing the chat.  I have passed on to my friend and his wife all the information given to me and they are very grateful and thankful.  I am now finalising their family tree.  I very much appreciate all the information I've received from you.  😀  I do have one more avenue I'm trying to follow up but through personal messaging.  Thank you so much!  Sincerely, Alice  ps Very soon I'll be able to do get on with my own family tree... 😄  White from Paisley, Scotland... originally Clan Lamont, Bute Island (paternal) and Hopkins/Jeffrey - Paisley & Ireland I believe.  Bye for now.