Author Topic: Alonzo Goodhead - Inheritance information  (Read 1714 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alonzo Goodhead - Inheritance information
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 March 24 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Did you notice the Alonzo Goodhead who died Cambridgeshire 1883, on the 1881 census says
he was born "Hungary" and a general dealer

The Alonzo Goodhead you have mentioned was born in Nottinghamshire to Isiah and Ann Goodhead
bap. 2 September 1820.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 March 24 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Going from memory, I think that the mother of the Nottingham Alonzo was nee Hogg.
Not that it helps, but hopefully a clue or two:
From Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties. 26 May 1848

Edit:  From late 1847 through 1848 there are news ads regarding the selling of the freehold properties of Isaiah Goodhead.  I assume that is why Mr Hogg is looking for him.

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 24 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone - just wanted to acknowledge and thank you all for the information I have received so far. I have needed to do a bit of sorting and checking and will reply as soon as I can.   I have done the Alonzo Goodhead tree only as an extra to a tree I've done for very dear long-time friends.  The husband now has a terminal illness and they wanted to find out - if they could - some factual information about his inheritance through his great grandmother- Winifred Goodhead - who married Albert Nicholson.  Winifred was a daughter of Thomas Goodhead (b, 1857), a son of Alonzo.  They've not had much success in the past and asked me if I could help.  It's been a rather confusing exercise as my friend was told the inheritance came through a "rich widow whom Alonzo married".  I tried for information about these wives ((Mary Ann Garness and then Margaret or Mary Dilin or MacMahon/McMahon)  have asked for and did receive some helpful information but wasn't able to fully finalise it.  I just left it and finalised that chat.  I'm starting again, hence this new thread which seems to include information I can follow up regarding that.  However, as mentioned, the focus now is mainly on trying to find inheritance details. Am checking out all that information, some of which I have already through doing Alonzo's tree.  Your help is so much appreciated ..Thanks.  Kind regards, Alice

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 24 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I don’t quite understand, sorry.
Has your friend received an inheritance or do they believe they should receive one?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 24 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  They've already received it because his immediate family are all now deceased.  I don't know details except I know some of it at least is tied up in a Trust.  If you think you can help further, I'll be glad to see if my friends have any more details.  I have already looked up suggestions re finding out about the will and probate but nothing comes up;  however, I don't think I have enough detail to enter into the search.  I don't know if they can give me any more information but will certainly ask them for as much information as possible. 

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 March 24 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Heywood,
Re my reply just now, I didn't say so but I understand you not understanding... it's a quite complicated issue with that particular part of my friends' Family Tree!  Will let you know what I find out particularly re the inheritance itself.  Thanks again for your help, Alice

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 March 24 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
I can’t help, sorry but just wonder why there isn’t a paper trail?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paisley Al

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 March 24 16:55 GMT (UK) »
From what I understand his father and a sister had done some research but apparently couldn't find out much.  It is claimed that "there was an unnamed newspaper article in 1926 which gave details of Alonzo's estate held in trust by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in England which was then worth several millions of pounds sterling".  This supposedly came through shares in The Birmingham Steel Company (where two of Alonzo's sons were apprenticed in around 1867...  one of them emigrated to Australia in December 1878) - and "probably most if the money came from the rich widow who had married Alonzo".   My friend's father apparently didn't know much because he went to England (from Australia) to try to discover all the information but he became quite ill on arrival in London and had to return home.  I don't know when that was but may have been not long before he died in September 1991.  He never did get back there.  There are other relatives in Australia but I don't have any idea if they have been contacted.  I was going to phone my friends because I'm becoming more and more curious about it all!  😀  I'll definitely try later today.  (It's 3.20 a.m. here in eastern Australia - I keep different hours to "normal" people because of my general "unwellness" - plus ageing.. am in my mid-80's.. 😁 ) 

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 March 24 19:49 GMT (UK) »
If “some of it at least is tied up in a trust” they must have some documentation. If they are being paid money out of a trust every month/year whatever, someone must be administering it.
And that person will have the trust deed. Which would say who set the trust up. 

Presumably they have copies of all the wills in a direct line… your friend’s father/grandfather etc. does none of them mention it?