Author Topic: Glass Manufacturer  (Read 139 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Glass Manufacturer
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Good morning

This morning I am cleaning an old mirror which has been in my family for over 100 years. 

I have removed the glass from the frame and found the manufacturers mark which you can see below on the back which carries the date of 16-3-96 (or possibly 26 at the beginning and 98/9 at the end)

Does anyone recognise the mark and have an idea of where it might have been manufactured?  The family branch it came through moved to Sunderland from Godalming in the early 1830s and was there until 1986.

Many thanks for any ideas

DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 11:30 GMT (UK) »
There used to be a mirror shop in Rochdale, I took an old “foxed” mirror there to be resilvered, the owner logged  the trade mark on the back explaining that he liked to keep a record of old companies that made and resilvered mirrors.
I don’t imagine he is still alive nor what happened to his records .
It might be recorded somewhere. I would try googling it, first in your area or if you have any idea where it came from ie which domestic address ,in that location.
Interesting ,my grandmother whom I had never known had looked in that mirror ,from 1894 , that seemed special to me .
Best of luck.
Viktoria.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 11:45 GMT (UK) »
A possibility perhaps?
(snippet image courtesy of Ancestry)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the good wishes Viktoria!

Allan - thank you for the trade directory entry - I'll pursue that further!

In the meantime I have emailed the National Glass Centre which is, of course, based in Sunderland, so if it is a local manufacturer they should know!
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk