Author Topic: Help needed with Italian Grave Inscription  (Read 222 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed with Italian Grave Inscription
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 14:54 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/234172230/carlo-pallotti

A good while back I added a Jesmond Old Cemetery memorial for a Carlo Palloti to Find a Grave.
Someone has since added a photo of the memorial.
I have now been contacted by someone in Australia who thinks this person may be their ancestor.  They have asked about the inscription which is not easy to make out.  They think this might help ascertain if this is their ancestor if the inscription can be worked out.

I have made a start at trying to work out what this records.  However, I am not 100% I am putting the correct words.  It would be good to help this possible descendant out if possible.

I am just wondering if anyone can make this out better than I can and also if anyone is able to translate from Italian to English this would be even better again.
Thanks for reading.  Any help will be most appreciated.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Italian Grave Inscription
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »
There was a lengthy newspaper article in the Newcastle Daily Chronicle, page 8 on 13 Nov 1890 about the unveiling of the monument which handily gives a transcription of the wording. The entire article too big to post but this may help those whose Italian consists of more than being able to order drinks, say please, thank you and where is the loo , which is my limit :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Boo!  This is brilliant!
The descendant surely might be able to decide if this is their ancestor from this article.  I will change memorial to record he was a Dr. Next time I can get to the Newcastle local studies I think I may be able to access the full item.  I will add the inscription soon from this item you have found and delete my attempt on the memorial until I can add this from you.
Gosh, I'm impressed at your Italian skills .. it sounds like you know a lot more than me.  You are practically a local. ;)
La ringrazio tanto otherwise Thank you so much (just showing off, although had to look this up ;D)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 17:12 GMT (UK) »
The library microfilm 'may' produce a better image?

there was also this on 5th April 1890, page 8 in the Newcastle Chronicle

Hope its the person your contact is looking for.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 24 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this Boo.  It is very kind of you to have found this and attached.
He sounds like quite a benevolent man, doesn't he?  It is sad he died so young in life.

I hope to be able to get the inscription written out and up on the FaG memorial later today.  I haven't heard back as yet from the 'descendant' but hopefully will soon.