Author Topic: Ancestry Problems...  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Problems...
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry is **** at the moment. One minute it works then the next 3 it doesnt. Error message adding this record, please go back or refresh, we have recorded the fault - so they should DO something (if they cared) or just black screens when try to open search results before adding to tree. Clearing cache seems to make no improvement.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the "r" problem that many of us have...  for me it is only the lower case "r".  Hit Caps Lock and save your sanity!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I found the FindMyPast search engine easier to navigate. I guess in regards to Ancestry, the mere 10 year time frame either side of a year is to perhaps stop flooding the system too much whereas FindMyPast has a 40 year either side frame, and you can search by radius 5, 10 miles etc, which can be helpful. And the handy mmn on pre 1911 birth indexes, however some years are not yet complete on FindMyPast so you have to consult the GRO site.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I entirely agree Coombs, about the search engine.   This thread has been running for a fortnight now.  Today there are new threads about trouble with Ancestry Hints and DNA.  Has anyone had a word of explanation or apology from Ancestry?  They are usually so good at sending emails to promote themselves, even to non-subscribers.  I have never subscribed because I don't like their "we are always right" attitude to transcribing and indexing British records.

Suggest you ALL request some money back for failure to provide the service you have paid for.  Suggest complaints to the archive services who have made their records available via Ancestry, perhaps to reconsider whether Ancestry is the best place for them.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 21 March 24 11:34 GMT (UK) »
MollyC

I also feel that ancestry has a 'we are always right' attitude. I gave up years ago providing them with feedback about their incorrect data. Including erroneous collection titles and source citations.

I only use them because they have collections that I need to use.

Martin