Author Topic: Rootschats solved one, can it solve the other?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootschats solved one, can it solve the other?
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Background

I made this post in 2021: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853385.0

Recently progress was made on William Allton’s parents on this thread (Henry and Elizabeth): https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=874410.0

This post relates to the Elizabeth Finch’s (later Thompson) parents from the thread back in 2021. I never did find the burial location for Elizabeth but I’ve always suspected Hartshill Cemetery.

Anyway

Elizabeth Finch’s (b. 1833) parents were Henry and Hannah (Ann) Finch of Nuneaton. Elizabeth’s baptism was 13 Oct 1833 in Nuneaton. Henry and Hannah appear in every census (except 1841, which I cannot find) until their deaths, location Hartshill.

I have not yet found a marriage record for Henry Finch and Ann/Hannah. Henry Finch was born c. 1793 in Nuneaton – all census records give his birthplace as Nuneaton. Hannah was born c. 1807 in Nuneaton (1851 gives birth at Chilvers Coton)

Their first child (I can find) is 1833 (Elizabeth) born Nuneaton. There is a record for a ‘Henry Finch’ born c. 1793 in Nuneaton @ UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Admission Books, Registers and Papers, 1702-1980. His military regiment was 28 Foot, Waterloo and military pension date is given as 8 Dec 1830. I think this may be the same Henry Finch.

So, ultimately, I’m looking for a marriage between Henry Finch (late 30s) and Ann/Hannah (early 20s) between the years of 1831-1833, likely in/around Nuneaton. It would be good to know Ann/Hannah’s side of the family.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschats solved one, can it solve the other?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 19:45 GMT (UK) »

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 19:49 GMT (UK) »
From the 1851 census, we know that Henry and Hannah had at least:
- Elizabeth (born c.1834)
- Thomas (born c.1838)
- Henry (born c.1840)

I can see Elizabeth's baptism as daughter of Henry, ribbon weaver, and Ann Finch of Bond End, but I cannot find Thomas or Henry under Finch.

Weirdly enough, in 1840, Thomas (4 years old) and Henry, sons of Henry, ribbon weaver, and Hannah Finch of Abbey Street, were baptised, but they were baptised with the surname Pinchback.

Are these separate people or the same?

There is a marriage between a Henry Pinchback and Hannah Smith in Nuneaton on 22nd Aprill 1833.

I can't see a baptism for a Henry Finch in 1793 in Nuneaton, but there is one for a Henry Pinchback, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.

Could be a red herring, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD has Henry Pinchback reg. December quarter 1839 Vol 16 page 394 at Nuneaton.

It's not on the GRO index, I have reported it.

There is an Emma Pinchback reg. 1842 Nuneaton, March Quarter  vol 16 page 425 mother's maiden name Smith.
ADDED  - bap 20 Feb. 1842 of Henry and Hannah, father Ribbon Weaver - Wheat Lane
Emma died 1844 age 2 death reg. Nuneaton

The would match the Henry Pinchback to Hannah Smith 1833 found by QueenoftheWest

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 24 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Possible reason to change his name.
1 June 1838 Coventry Standard

Paraphrased Complaint of Henry Pinchback,  firm of Clarke and Burbury refused payments for ribbon work 6/- 6d and a further 2/- total 8/6d.
The firm claimed the work was poorly made and they refused to pay, yet kept the ribbon, sending it to London.
The verdict was in his Henry's favour and they were ordered to pay him.
------
They had really cast aspersions on the quality of his work and perhaps he thought a change of name would be for the best.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:13 GMT (UK) »
That Henrys bapt is on FreeREG    14 May 1792, St Nicolas, Nuneaton

+
Possible Marriage same Church 05 Jul 1796 Elizabeth PINCHBACK to Richard BEEBY

They bapt;
JOHN 15 May 1797
RICHARD 16 May 1803
JAMES 13 Jun 1806

Richard Beeby, Widower, remarried 13 Feb 1831 to Sarah SMITH, Spinster

Interesting fact;

HENRY/HANNAH Finch were witnesses to the Marriage of RICHARD Beeby to Frances WHITE 05 May 1850
Bachelor/Spinster
His Father RICHARD a Labourer, Hers JOHN a Ribbon Weaver

1851 Census Richard is born 1805 Stockingford, Warwickshire
Census is a little confusing as they are with the Whites but Richard is a Son in Law and Frances a Granddaughter

So did Henry Finch witness his half brothers Wedding?

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
ELIZABETH Beeby buried 07 Feb 1830, St Paul, Stockingford
Age 59
(birth c 1771)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 24 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Is this the missing 1841?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ1S-X4R

Yes, that’s them  :) thank you!

From the 1851 census, we know that Henry and Hannah had at least:
- Elizabeth (born c.1834)
- Thomas (born c.1838)
- Henry (born c.1840)

I can see Elizabeth's baptism as daughter of Henry, ribbon weaver, and Ann Finch of Bond End, but I cannot find Thomas or Henry under Finch.

Weirdly enough, in 1840, Thomas (4 years old) and Henry, sons of Henry, ribbon weaver, and Hannah Finch of Abbey Street, were baptised, but they were baptised with the surname Pinchback.

Are these separate people or the same?

There is a marriage between a Henry Pinchback and Hannah Smith in Nuneaton on 22nd Aprill 1833.

I can't see a baptism for a Henry Finch in 1793 in Nuneaton, but there is one for a Henry Pinchback, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.

Could be a red herring, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Queenie  :)

This would explain why I couldn’t find Henry and Hannah’s marriage, or Henry’s baptism. I’d always assumed that Henry’s father was Henry Finch (1769–1854) of Nuneaton. Henry Finch 1769 married Mary Green on April 1st, 1793, and I thought had 6 children:
  • Henry c. 1793
  • Ann c. 1794
  • Mary c. 1795
  • Martha c. 1797
  • Alice c. 1799
  • Lydia c. 1801

Perhaps I was wrong. Looking at Thomas and Henry Pinchback, the ages fit – and I never found their baptisms either, only Elizabeth’s, as Finch. The marriage fits too, a couple of months before Elizabeth’s baptism in Oct 1833.

Curiously in the 1841 census found by Comberton, their surname in the census is Pinch, conveniently short for Pinchback?

That Henrys bapt is on FreeREG    14 May 1792, St Nicolas, Nuneaton

+
Possible Marriage same Church 05 Jul 1796 Elizabeth PINCHBACK to Richard BEEBY

They bapt;
JOHN 15 May 1797
RICHARD 16 May 1803
JAMES 13 Jun 1806

Richard Beeby, Widower, remarried 13 Feb 1831 to Sarah SMITH, Spinster

Interesting fact;

HENRY/HANNAH Finch were witnesses to the Marriage of RICHARD Beeby to Frances WHITE 05 May 1850
Bachelor/Spinster
His Father RICHARD a Labourer, Hers JOHN a Ribbon Weaver

1851 Census Richard is born 1805 Stockingford, Warwickshire
Census is a little confusing as they are with the Whites but Richard is a Son in Law and Frances a Granddaughter

So did Henry Finch witness his half brothers Wedding?

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)

It’s certainly good to make the link between Richard Beeby 1803 and Henry. It lends credence to his mother being Elizabeth Pinchback, later Beeby. It’s annoying that illegitimacy essentially kills the male line, but it is what it is.

Possible reason to change his name.
1 June 1838 Coventry Standard

Paraphrased Complaint of Henry Pinchback,  firm of Clarke and Burbury refused payments for ribbon work 6/- 6d and a further 2/- total 8/6d.
The firm claimed the work was poorly made and they refused to pay, yet kept the ribbon, sending it to London.
The verdict was in his Henry's favour and they were ordered to pay him.
------
They had really cast aspersions on the quality of his work and perhaps he thought a change of name would be for the best.

Its easy to see how Pinchback could transform into Finch too. I’m not sure how common it was ‘back in the day’, I haven’t had many in my tree.
It’s hard to know where to go from here, I think Pinchback is a real possibility now.
That would change Henry Finch, to Henry Pinchback b. 1792, mother Elizabeth Beeby (nee Pinchback) c. 1771 – 1830. Married Hannah Smith 1833 – parents unknown at this time.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 24 20:26 GMT (UK) »
If it helps the witnesses to the marriage of Henry Pinchback to Hannah Smith 22 April 1833 at St Nicholas, Nuneaton
were Thomas Smith and Martha Smith.