Author Topic: Need help deciphering Potts, Charles, E. - Service Record  (Read 180 times)

Offline pottsy1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help deciphering Potts, Charles, E. - Service Record
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me decipher this service record?

There are a lot of pages but here is my summary so far:
Enlisted: 01/02/1940
Service Number: T/145810
Unit: RASC
Other Divisions: 136 Training Coy., 4 DTC, 45 Div., 3 Div Pet. Coy., 47 Coy.
Discharged: 21/09/1943
Discharge Reason: 'Psychoneurosis', Anxiety State, Chronic, Severe Unspecified with Hysteria. Sensory. (a) 30% (b) No Evidence.

Oral History:

Voluntary demotion from Corporal to Driver/Private because he did not enjoy bossing his friends around.
    Whilst on a training exercise in Scotland, C. Potts was rowing on a loch and the Major in charge decided to use live ammunition. A bullet ricocheted from the water killed a soldier.
    Same Major ordered C. Potts to drive Tank Transporter across a bog, which got stuck and started to sink.
    Discharged due to a nervous breakdown.

I would like to know if verifying this information is possible, specifically the training exercise? Would there be a war diary taken for training exercises?

Appreciate any help!

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help deciphering Potts, Charles, E. - Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 24 08:43 GMT (UK) »
To answer your last question first, no, there won't be a war diary while the unit was engaged in training in the UK. It is also unlikely that there will be any official account of the incidents you describe, and as this was during war time I doubt if there would be any newspaper articles either. There would have been a board of inquiry into the death of the soldier but it is unlikely that the record of this will have survived. To be frank, deaths in training were not uncommon.
You also asked for help in deciphering some of the abbreviations.
The first line is 3rd Division Petrol Company.  I don't think this needs any explanation.
Next, 9 Tank transporter company, again, fairly obvious what they did.
Number 2 Holding Battalion, this seems to have been while he was in hospital.
4 Motor Ambulance Column which became 45 Motor Ambulance Column.
Depot Company. A unit similar to a holding unit, although he might have been undergoing additional training prior to promotion.
3 Mobilization Centre.
Y List. The Y list indicates he was not on the strength of any unit. The B means that this was for medical reasons.
158 Communication (Medium) Transport Company. This would have been a unit with mixed transport capabilities, designed to operate resupply along the lines of communication, that is to say, the supply route from the rear area where the stores depots would be located, to the forward or fighting areas. The 'medium' part indicates the capacity of the trucks, probably 10 tonners.
Since this was all long before D Day, all of these units would have been training and preparing for future operations.

All the stuff on the right hand side of the first image is to do with his promotions which were either paid or unpaid, local, acting or substantive rank. He was initially a private when he joined, then driver once he had gained his basic trade qualification: they are the same rank.

On the second image the only abbreviation I think might need explaining is DTC: this is Driver Training Centre.

Let me know if there's anything I've missed.

Offline pottsy1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help deciphering Potts, Charles, E. - Service Record
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 24 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This was really more than helpful. The RASC Division and Company names are quite confusing, so I really appreciate the clarification.
I will let you know if I stumble across anything interesting!!