Author Topic: 2011 Census Computer database?  (Read 430 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
2011 Census Computer database?
« on: Wednesday 06 March 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I believe this is likely complete fiction but was just watching an episode of Silent Witness from 2020 and at one point a policewoman leapt on a computer at the Lyell Centre (not her own) and within seconds found a family in the 2011 Census Database! 
1) privacy laws protect the public from seeing this until ca 2111;
2) do police have access to this information? Assuming it has been digitized.  And if police have access, wouldn’t she have to jump through technical hoops to open it up?
Yes, I know, it’s fiction.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Census Computer database?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 22:52 GMT (UK) »
  It does sound unlikely. I suppose they might get access, but not that easily I imagine.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 24 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I retired 12 years ago (from the Met Police), but did a lot of computer related work, and things do change rapidly, but I never heard of getting access to census data, and it wouldn't be that useful anyway, being a snapshot that doesn't get regularly updated.

There are much better databases available to find people ( HMRC, DWP, full electoral roll, phone subscribers etc.), but most such external databases would need a good reason, and authorisation given, to access.

Of course there are departments - counter-terrorism & security services for instance - who may have enhanced access to other systems.

I enjoy watching Silent Witness, and had the pleasure of chatting to Emilia Fox at the WDYTYA Live show some years ago, but it is a very, very long way removed from reality.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:05 GMT (UK) »
“It’s only on the telly!” … as my late father would have said.

It always amuses me when a subject comes up, in either a TV programme or a newspaper story, which I genuinely know something about and which invariably gets hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, AntonyMMM, for your input.  I agree, Silent Witness is an enjoyable show, how interesting you got to meet Emilia Fox - we have watched her other show, solving cold cases, with another presenter (Scottish, can't remember the show's name), that was quite good.
I have noticed on the show that the forensic scientists seem to be much more involved in solving cases than they are in reality...and are often telling the police what to do (which am sure any police watching do not appreciate!). 
All in all though, the British crime shows are far superior to American ones, with the exception of Law and Order, excellent, especially the early years.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:07 GMT (UK) »
“It’s only on the telly!” … as my late father would have said.

It always amuses me when a subject comes up, in either a TV programme or a newspaper story, which I genuinely know something about and which invariably gets hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Yes...and figures of authority putting themselves in danger, which is just plain dumb.