Author Topic: John Stokoe, Tanfield Village  (Read 199 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stokoe, Tanfield Village
« on: Thursday 07 March 24 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I know I am clutching at straws here but can anyone please help with absolutely any information on John Stokoe who was described as a "brewer, vintner and innholder" lately of Tanfield in the County of Durham and who was issued with a bankruptcy notice (The London Gazette Publication date: 7th September 1742 Issue 8152 Page 7).  I have not been able to find any trace of him in the village.
Tanfield is a very small village and the only pubs that were definitely there at the time were the Peacock and the Pack Horse.  However, there is reputed to have been an unnamed pub with a brew house in the grounds of Tanfield Hall before 1800 so that is another possibility.  Many thanks
Neville Bougourd

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Stokoe, Tanfield Village
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 24 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the North East Inheritance Database?

There is a 1752 record for John Stokoe, gentleman, of Bryan's Leap in the chapelry of Tanfield. 
The image shows that administration was granted to Dorothy Stokoe of Bryan's Leap, relict, Thomas Stokoe of the same, gentleman, and Joseph Taylor of the same place.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t1q/

ADDED: The NBI says he was buried 15 Jan 1752 at St Margaret of Antioch, Tanfield.  No other information unfortunately.

He's possibly the John Stokoe widower of Byermoor [Whickham] who married Dorothy Barras of Whickham in 1736, and before that possibly Dorothy Labourne in 1723

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t1s/
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t1r/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Stokoe, Tanfield Village
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 24 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jomot,

I have been looking in the wrong place.  I have been looking in the village of Tanfield but this is in the Chapelry of Tanfield and actually in the village of Burnopfield.  The two are quite close together and there were two known breweries in Burnopfield, one of which was tied to a pub in Bryan's Leap which is where he was dwelling at the time of his death.

You have given me a lot of circumstantial evidence and a good solid base to work from.  If I can only firmly link him to that pub and brewery, the rest will be easy.  I am also encouraged because the third name on the administration document is that of another local brewer whom he would certainly have known as a business contact and quite possibly as a friend.  Thanks again