Author Topic: WW2 National/Auxiliary Fire Service records  (Read 233 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 National/Auxiliary Fire Service records
« on: Friday 08 March 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some assistance on where I can find my Grandads Auxiliary Fire Service Record.

He served in the Castleford/Pontefract/Garforth areas of West Yorkshire during the early stages of the war until he was injured in the Xmas raid on Salford after being drafted in to assist in fire fighting at the docks.

From there he went on to serve in the fire service at the Royal Ordnance Factory Filling Station No9 at Thorp Arch where he eventually became Station Officer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 National/Auxiliary Fire Service records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 24 16:45 GMT (UK) »
The civilian fire service has always been a local authority responsibility so I would start with the West Yorkshire Record Office to see what records they might have. Thorp Arch seems to have been directly controlled by the Ministry of Supply and so if any personnel records remain I would expect them to be at TNA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1083

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 24 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the pointers, can't seem to find anything there either.

Dave
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline NorthernGeezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I've got a similar problem to this..................
The family story is my grandfather George Banham Brown didnt fight in WW2, he was a fireman at Shell Chemicals in Manchester, I'm assuming this is not part of the National Fire Service area of work though, it being a private company?