Author Topic: 1851 - Crowland / Croyland - North Street, Pitts Yard  (Read 119 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 - Crowland / Croyland - North Street, Pitts Yard
« on: Friday 08 March 24 16:34 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 I have family living in North Street, Croyland, next to Pitts Yard.

Looking at the census it would appear that North Street had several "Yards"  or Courts?  The census identifies 165 households on North Street.  I wonder which way the enumerator walked, he did both sides of North Street, did he start by the river, or by the Bridge??

Just wondering if there is a map showing the location of the Yards?  Or when they got replaced by other properties?  The names would seem to reflect the owners?

Pam

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 - Crowland / Croyland - North Street, Pitts Yard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 24 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Page 1 of any piece/folio on the census shows the enumerators route.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 - Crowland / Croyland - North Street, Pitts Yard
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 24 21:51 GMT (UK) »
In this case it details the road (North Street) but it doesn't say in which direction he goes, and I wondered if he started at the North (river) or south (bridge) end.

"All that part of the town of Croyland comprised of North Street (both sides) with the Courts appertaining with the Brewery House and cottages on the North Bank contiguous also the Boat and Horses Public House on said bank".

Knowing the direction might help me identify the poss position of my relatives' house.

Pam