Author Topic: Brick wall - confused - help : (  (Read 547 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - confused - help : (
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 24 23:35 GMT (UK) »
So maybe

DICKSON
JANE
-----
F
691 / 182
LASSWADE

And

DICKSON
GEORGE
DICKSON
M
691 / 181
LASSWADE

What does Jane’s death cert say regarding her parents?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 24 05:41 GMT (UK) »
That’s a great find by mckha489, and confirms your story about the child George and Jane’s death.

Jane’s death certificate could be useful, even if parents’ name are not there, knowing the address and name of informant might be important to moving forward.
I wonder if George’s birth certificate, rather than death, might provide more useful information – here again looking to see what the address at birth was, etc.   
George Dickson’s birth certificate ref no is 691 / 264 Lasswade – 1875.

The 1875 valuation rolls for Pentland Villa, St Cuthberts show Mrs Mary Duncan (Proprietor/ occupier), Peter Howden (proprietor), and Henry H Hanson (Tenant).

I think that the census record you found for Jane in 1851 and 1861 was for the Jane who married Hugh McInnes. Daughter of William and Catherine, born in Roslin.
1851 census here -
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5903d689e9379091b1f69984/jane-dixon-1851-midlothian-lasswade-1846-?locale=en

I would also look at the details of William Dixon’s birth certificate in 1863, and see what the address is. 
What became of William, and where is he in 1881 census?

If you have a DNA link to this family, then I would  look further into this family – siblings of William Dickson, as a potential parent for Jane.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 24 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Both death entries for Jane and George on same entry page. Sadly they offer very little info. Jane aged 30 single, died 19th December 1875--no cause of death shown, Portland Villas. New Portland, Lasswade,informant John Connor Police Constable. George died 10th December 1875, no cause of death, mother Jane Dickson, domestic servant.

SS

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 24 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Both death entries for Jane and George on same entry page. Sadly they offer very little info. Jane aged 30 single, died 19th December 1875--no cause of death shown, Portland Villas. New Portland, Lasswade,informant John Connor Police Constable. George died 10th December 1875, no cause of death, mother Jane Dickson, domestic servant.

Pentland Villas, New Pentland ?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 24 09:43 GMT (UK) »
My mistake, sorry. Pentland villas

SS

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I think she committed suicide after she had another illegitimate son, George, and rolled onto his resulting in his death as a new baby.

Newspaper articles say that a post mortem showed that no blame was attached to the mother.  She became despondent and hung herself in the stables.  There is no personal information and no mention of another child.

Debra  :)

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 24 14:46 GMT (UK) »
yes it is x

I know my ancestor great grandfather William Dixon b.1863 Alnwick was illegitimate we also think his mother committed suicide when he was young (but don't know this for a fact).

We have found his birth certificate and found him living in Alnwick with Jane, his mother, in 1871

Is this the 1871 census detail you have for Jane & William ?

Canongate Street, Canongate, Alnwick, Northumberland, England
Jane   Dixon Head    1846   Charwoman   Alnwick, Northumberland
William Dixon   Son   1864   Alnwick, Northumberland

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 March 24 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help, you have all given me a lot of information and places to look to continue my search. Unfortunately Williams birth certificate has no father and his marriage certificate is false, he told family that he was embarrassed therefore said his father was Joseph we presume he did not know or did not want to say who his father was. The only information we have from him before he died was that he was born to a Jane Dixon/Dickson he was illegitimate was and his mother (we presume as he never actually said it was her as he didn't like to talk about her) committed suicide. We also know he had Scottish ancestry but again no clear information.