Author Topic: Brick wall - confused - help : (  (Read 546 times)

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick wall - confused - help : (
« on: Friday 08 March 24 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my family tree for years and thought I had it figured out until I did a DNA test which although showed I was related to some of the correct ancestors another DNA match has done research which has come up completely different to mine.

I know my ancestor great grandfather William Dixon b.1863 Alnwick was illegitimate we also think his mother committed suicide when he was young (but don't know this for a fact). We have found his birth certificate and found him living in Alnwick with Jane, his mother, in 1871. I thought I had found Jane's parents on the census with Jane is both 51 and 61 in Lasswade, Scotland (we believe that this is where she was born due to family conversations in the past however my great grandfather was quite guarded about his family history or he did not know anything).

I have a DNA match with a William Dickson (Jane's presumed father) however the brick wall is that another lady who DNA matches with him also has done research which leads her to believe that William's daughter Jane was in fact married to a Hugh McInnes and moved and died to Canada.

Any advice? I just can't find Jane anywhere before or after the 1871 census where she is with her son, William, unless it is her.

I think she committed suicide after she had another illegitimate son, George, and rolled onto his resulting in his death as a new baby.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - confused - help : (
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 24 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Firstly if his mother died in that way there might be a newspaper report about it.

Also a death record for her.  When was this other son George born?  When did he die?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 24 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I have not checked the newspapers. George was born and died in 1875

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 24 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a DNA match with a William Dickson (Jane's presumed father)
Where and when was this William Dickson born?    Where do you find him in the census?

William's daughter Jane was in fact married to a Hugh McInnes and moved and died to Canada.

Where and when was this marriage?   Do you have the marriage certificate?

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 March 24 21:55 GMT (UK) »
William was born in Lasswade Midlothian in 1813. I found him on 41-91 census’ still living in lasswade.

I can’t find any evidence of a marriage between Jane and Hugh McInnes. I found them living together, married, on the census but the information is vague from a contact in Canada. She is sure that William’s daughter Jane is her Jane McInnes though

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:30 GMT (UK) »

I know my ancestor great grandfather William Dixon b.1863 Alnwick was illegitimate we also think his mother committed suicide when he was young (but don't know this for a fact).

We have found his birth certificate and found him living in Alnwick with Jane, his mother, in 1871

Is this the 1871 census detail you have for Jane & William ?

Canongate Street, Canongate, Alnwick, Northumberland, England
Jane   Dixon Head    1846   Charwoman   Alnwick, Northumberland
William Dixon   Son   1864   Alnwick, Northumberland
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:40 GMT (UK) »
..... another lady who DNA matches with him also has done research which leads her to believe that William's daughter Jane was in fact married to a Hugh McInnes and moved and died to Canada.

In the family trees that I have seen it was the children of Hugh and Jane who went to Canada, Jane stayed in Scotland and died there in 1920.  This is the death they have for her...

MCINNES,  JANE
Aged 68
Mother's maiden surname: DYKES
493 / 156
Bonhill

You just need to buy some credits on ScotlandsPeople and have a look at the marriage in 1869.  It will name both her parents and give her father's occupation.

DICKSON, JEAN

MCINNES, HUGH

560 / 46
Cathcart (Lanark)

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Scrap that, I found a copy of the marriage cert on a tree.  When she married she was aged 22 and named her parents as William DICKSON, a labourer and Catherine DYKES.

Later census records show her birthplace as Roslin.

Debra  :)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 March 24 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Firstly if his mother died in that way there might be a newspaper report about it.

Also a death record for her.  When was this other son George born?  When did he die?