Author Topic: 1864 Father's name, entry on Marriage certificate  (Read 229 times)

Offline flintlockandsteel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1864 Father's name, entry on Marriage certificate
« on: Friday 08 March 24 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I think this is throwing me off track.
It appears his actual father may have died in 1854 (if research is correct). So is the name simply there to say what he was called and completed by a registrar accordingly?
My thanks

Offline StefanD99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1864 Father's name, entry on Marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 24 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, that's right, I don't believe it implies they were present at the wedding. I can't recall finding an entry indicating the father was deceased on any of my ancestors marriage records, despite a good number of them being so.
Stefan
Oh! What a tangled web we perceive,
where ancestors try to hide and deceive.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stephan that simplifies things and almost confirms the William I found in the 1840's may be the correct one.
I also note from my research (of similar / partly linked family trees to my own) that many accept the suggestions the algorithms throw up and then head off in totally the wrong direction. I do try check any new links I find 3 or 4 times.
There will be more questions to follow as I haven't  done any research for 15 years.
Thank you

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 24 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

A lot depends how the question was asked by the person officiating (eg)

What is your fathers name  or  what is your fathers name & is he still living. 

The living/dead was mostly either volunteered info or in cases were the person was under 21 and parental permission was needed

It is not unusual to find a deceased father seemingly alive on a marriage cert. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 24 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I agree with CaroleW. I don't think the minister or registrar would normally ask if a father was deceased, but would note that fact if it was volunteered. I have a few instances in my ancestry of brides and grooms making up fathers' names (not both on the same entry, but often one or the other). In my grandfather's case, he didn't know who his father was, as he had been orphaned at a very early age and brought up by the local authority, but I suspect he didn't want to have "unknown" appear on the certificate.

In a couple of other cases, it appears to have been a deceit perpetrated when committing bigamy.

In general terms, whilst images and other copies of original documents are the nearest we can get to what was recorded at the time, it doesn't necessarily follow that what was recorded is true. We need to use the information in conjunction with other records that may agree or disagree in certain particulars, to assess the facts.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - I've also noted that if an individual has several Christian names that can vary over the years.
I currently have a bit of a genealogical knot pre 1851. Apparently related individuals (probably cousins) but having no discoverable link thus far.
Where best to post that?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Usually best on the board for the County in which you know they were born or lived
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)