Author Topic: Crew Lists, Merchant Navy Ship, 1891  (Read 323 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Crew Lists, Merchant Navy Ship, 1891
« on: Saturday 09 March 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »

Would anyone on here know if it’s possible to obtain a Crewlist for a Merchant Navy ship in 1891?

The Lady Havelock left Brest for Swansea in 1891 and docked there.

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crew Lists, Merchant Navy Ship, 1891
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 24 10:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 24 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for looking Hanes teulu.

I had no idea that there were so many ships called’The Lady Havelock’!

I noticed that a ship called The Lady Havelock docked at Swansea in 1891 and wondered if my ever elusive Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) might have been on board? He turns up in Swansea and marries my Grandmother Margaret Rees there in 1893. He’s untraceable before then…

Out of his six sons, all born at 113 St Helen’s Road, Swansea, - five of them spent time in the Merchant Navy, and I wondered if the reason that my Grandfather is missing from records is that he was also in the Merchant Navy?

He named his eldest son William Havelock Wilson (1894 - 1974) and I had thought that the Havelock was in tribute to Joseph Havelock Wilson, leader of the Seaman’s Union. But perhaps it was simply after a ship?

Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I had some success with CR10 cards which were held by Southampton Archives for Merchant Seamen who had not served beyond 1941. I don't know that much about the area but a quick rootschat search for CR10 throws up posts by others that do.

S_L

p.s. hazy memory that you can also search the National Archives catalogue using your ancestor's name and the category BT (Board of Trade), think that may have applied to the cards held there but I'm sure the National Archives provides a guide

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:21 GMT (UK) »

Thanks S_L for looking.

Yes, I’ve visited Kew and found CR 10 cards relating to my late Uncle’s Merchant Navy Service. However, there don’t seem to be any for the 1880’s/ 1890’s, sadly.

Romilly.
Researching:

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:36 GMT (UK) »
His marriage cert on line gives age 32, address Lower Oxford St, occpn Painter, father William Wilson, mason (deceased)
Trust you already have this along with PoB from 1901 Census - Manchester?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 24 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks hanes teulu, I have no problem finding him after he married my Grandmother in Swansea in June 1893. He’s just impossible to find anywhere before then…☹️

There’s no Birth or Baptism that fits in Manchester in 1860, and the first Census that I can find him on is the 1901 Census for Swansea.

It’s possible that he was in the Merchant Navy before then, but his birth and family are a complete mystery!

Romilly 😔
Researching:

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 March 24 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Thanks S_L for looking.

Yes, I’ve visited Kew and found CR 10 cards relating to my late Uncle’s Merchant Navy Service. However, there don’t seem to be any for the 1880’s/ 1890’s, sadly.

Romilly.

Have you seen Seaweed's reply concerning the whereabouts of Crew Agreements? It is reply 12 in this thread:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853835.0
note the bit about Greenwich having those for the years that end in 5.

S_L

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 March 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks S_L, both seaweed and HMac were very helpful with my previous Merchant Navy research. I’ve visited both Kew and Greenwich and contacted the Maritime History Archives in Newfoundland, but I’ve never been able to find my Grandfather.

Romilly.
Researching: