Author Topic: An interesting thought!  (Read 793 times)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting thought!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:28 GMT (UK) »
It was a "ceremony", it won't be registered anywhere.

(there will be a visit to a registration office for the actual legal marriage before or after - same as for many who "marry" on beaches or in various far-flung overseas destinations. As a registrar I did loads of those).

Thought the law was changed in 2022 for civil marriages, and as long as a venue has been registered, weddings (England) could now take place in "linked" outdoor areas?  presumably "linked outdoor areas" is the key - does a train count!

60 years ago, OH and I went to the local Register Office and asked when we could get married.  We were offered the choice of a marriage by License which we refused, and were advised 3 weeks on Saturday.  We accepted.  No regrets from either of us.

We chose the other option, by licence 48 hours later, could have been 24 hours later but there were no free slots - no regrets either. Think 29 days notice is required now, so not an option anymore!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The present-day Railway Mission is a care provider to the rail industry and British Transport Police through the provision of the National Rail Chaplaincy Service (NRCS).

The British Railway Mission was founded in 1881 to communicate the Christian Gospel to the people working in the railway and associated industries.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Do other industries have a similar chaplain service?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:48 GMT (UK) »
"the National Rail Chaplaincy Service (NRCS)"

Huh?  Why on earth are chaplains needed on trains?

Because of the theory of relativity.
As timing depends on relative velocity, and location, it follows that a priest is needed in non-inertial reference frames, such as trains. Captains are already available on ships.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Makes sense.  If you've got people trapped in a moving train carriage, you can harangue them about the gospel, and they can't escape.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Just off the top of my head:

Royal Navy
NHS (National Health Service)
Universities
YMCA
Prisons

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 March 24 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thought the law was changed in 2022 for civil marriages, and as long as a venue has been registered, weddings (England) could now take place in "linked" outdoor areas?  presumably "linked outdoor areas" is the key - does a train count!

The change in 2022 really only made permanent some temporary measures that were put in place during Covid - it did allow more flexibility about outdoor weddings, but the location still has to be part of an "approved premises".

There is is a list you can check:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-marriages-and-partnerships-approved-premises-list

There are other proposed changes still in the pipeline, that may well allow this type of ceremony to be legally recognised (in E/W), but not yet been implemented.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
"the National Rail Chaplaincy Service (NRCS)"

Huh?  Why on earth are chaplains needed on trains?
It seems that people do die on trains more than we would think. So much so that there is a corporate proceedure and "code word" in the event so that all staff know what to do. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 24 10:56 GMT (UK) »
In Scotland it has always been the person who was registered to conduct a marriage ceremony not the place. Hence people could be married in places other than a church or registry office.
Though previously, talking of the last 50 years or so, you would be hard pushed to get an official to come unless it was for a very good reason i.e. terminal illness.

In saying that many marriage ceremonies took place in the brides home or that of the Minister.
Marriage in Scotland is not a sacrament.

In the early family history days I was totally foxed by a couple who came from Ross and Cromarty whose marriage I found, after much searching, had taken place in Edinburgh. The certificate was faded copperplate and had not reproduced well and I thought I must have made a mistake but meticulous cross referencing proved it correct.

As I live in Edinburgh I decided to drive to the said house on the certificate. It was a large stone built house in a very good area. I was even more confused.

On asking a friend with greater genealogical knowledge than me she said ”It sounds as if they ‘married in front of the Minister’ at the Manse.

OK half the puzzle solved.
On recounting the story to my husband and brother in law they then remembered, which has frequently happened after the event in researching their side  >:(, that their Dad had said the man in question was a stonemason and used to come to Edinburgh on the boats they brought the sandstone that built the outer areas of the town once it’s on local supply was exhausted.

I love these puzzles!