Author Topic: Stillborn baby possible registration query?  (Read 207 times)

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Stillborn baby possible registration query?
« on: Saturday 09 March 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this predicament and can guide us in the right direction.  My parents had a full term stillborn baby girl in 1965. They were living in Shropshire (Little Dawley) at the time and they seem to remember it was a hospital in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, where they had the baby.  Now in their 80s (and my oldest sibling would be 60 this year) have often wondered of the possible whereabouts of their first baby's ashes/remains.

My Dad seems to remember "registering" though quite whether it was a Birth or a Death register, he cannot remember.  There is nothing I can find on Ancestry/Free BMD or Find My Past relating to this.

At the time Mom went into a coma and needed a blood transfusion, and never got to see her baby. Dad was asked if he wanted to see her, but he didn't want to at the time.  They've had to live with never knowing or seeing their firstborn, and if they could find out where babies remains ended up, they could possibly visit.
Ceney/Senay/Seaney (West Bromwich/Sedgley/Tipton/Pennsylvania) My Paternal Family Tree.
Bell/Hannah - Maternal Family Tree
Briggs/Morris - Adopted (or fostered in this case) Maternal Family Tree.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stillborn baby possible registration query?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 24 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a separate Stillbirth Register, NOT available online.

When I applied, some 10 years ago, I had to contact GRO in Southport by phone.
They posted a form which I filled in.
Once they agreed to my request, a Stillbirth Certificate was posted to me.
T's & C's apply.

Information on stillbirths

Only the mother or father is able to apply for a stillbirth certificate, and they must be named on the certificate.

If the parents are deceased a sibling can apply as long as they can provide the dates of death of their parents.

To apply for the application form for a stillbirth certificate, contact the General Register Office. Further details are available at: www.direct.gov.uk by entering the search terms "stillbirth certificate."
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline crazydaizy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Stillborn baby possible registration query?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 24 08:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a separate Stillbirth Register, NOT available online.

When I applied, some 10 years ago, I had to contact GRO in Southport by phone.
They posted a form which I filled in.
Once they agreed to my request, a Stillbirth Certificate was posted to me.
T's & C's apply.

Information on stillbirths

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Thank you x

Only the mother or father is able to apply for a stillbirth certificate, and they must be named on the certificate.

If the parents are deceased a sibling can apply as long as they can provide the dates of death of their parents.

To apply for the application form for a stillbirth certificate, contact the General Register Office. Further details are available at: www.direct.gov.uk by entering the search terms "stillbirth certificate."
Ceney/Senay/Seaney (West Bromwich/Sedgley/Tipton/Pennsylvania) My Paternal Family Tree.
Bell/Hannah - Maternal Family Tree
Briggs/Morris - Adopted (or fostered in this case) Maternal Family Tree.