Author Topic: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927  (Read 2539 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 March 24 11:22 GMT (UK) »
At the same address was a John Thomas HARDINGE.

17 Oct 1941
Holloway Press, London

Mysterious Warden Dies

Warden J.T. Hardinge of 28(?) Beverstock Road and Post 4, has died at the age of 88.  He had been a Warden for 18 months and had been through all the heaviest raids.  He had few friends or known relations and right to the very end held his peace and said nothing about himself.  Post Warden Jones who visited Hardinge in hospital said that he spoke very sparcely about himself and was always something of a mystery.  A neighbour, Mr R. Duly, told how Hardinge overcame many natural difficulties so that he could carry out his duty.  He was cremated yesterday at Pnchley (Finchley?).  Four wreaths were sent from Post 4, and one from Post 3.

The GRO has his age as 65 which tallies with his birthdate in 1939, might be the OCR.

Debra  :)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:06 GMT (UK) »

17 Oct 1941
Holloway Press, London

Mysterious Warden Dies

Warden J.T. Hardinge of 28(?) Beverstock Road and Post 4, has died at the age of 88.  He had been a Warden for 18 months and had been through all the heaviest raids.  He had few friends or known relations and right to the very end held his peace and said nothing about himself.  Post Warden Jones who visited Hardinge in hospital said that he spoke very sparcely about himself and was always something of a mystery.  A neighbour, Mr R. Duly, told how Hardinge overcame many natural difficulties so that he could carry out his duty.  He was cremated yesterday at Pnchley (Finchley?).  Four wreaths were sent from Post 4, and one from Post 3.

The GRO has his age as 65 which tallies with his birthdate in 1939, might be the OCR.

The article does say age 65, so it was the OCR misreading.  Same as for the address, which reads 78 Beversbrook-road.
The place of cremation is typed as "Fnchley", so that is both the OCR and a misspelling!

I'm not having any luck so far finding him on the 1921.

Noteventhebirdsareupyet:  Don't worry about uploading Peter's birth.... I see from your opening post that "Irene" did put Shear.  Could you just post any addresses from it please (both where he was born and the informants)? 
Perhaps "Irene" didn't want to put the Parsons name on it, so just "borrowed" Hardinge's name?

Offline Noteventhebirdsareupyet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:59 GMT (UK) »

17 Oct 1941
Holloway Press, London

Mysterious Warden Dies

The article does say age 65, so it was the OCR misreading.  Same as for the address, which reads 78 Beversbrook-road.
The place of cremation is typed as "Fnchley", so that is both the OCR and a misspelling!

I'm not having any luck so far finding him on the 1921.

Noteventhebirdsareupyet:  Don't worry about uploading Peter's birth.... I see from your opening post that "Irene" did put Shear.  Could you just post any addresses from it please (both where he was born and the informants)? 
Perhaps "Irene" didn't want to put the Parsons name on it, so just "borrowed" Hardinge's name?

Where are people seeing the 1921 census info? I can't seem to access it.

Peter's birth certificate has place of birth 28 Huddleston Road, Islington and the informant  is Harold Forrest, Father,  28 Huddleston Road.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 March 24 20:04 GMT (UK) »

Where are people seeing the 1921 census info? I can't seem to access it.

Peter's birth certificate has place of birth 28 Huddleston Road, Islington and the informant  is Harold Forrest, Father,  28 Huddleston Road.

Thanks for the addresses!
The 1921 is only at FindmyPast.  Any one can look through the indexes (and purchase individual entries).  However, nothing promising at the moment, under Hardinge, Hardings, or Harding.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 March 24 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I believe I know who Eleanor was and may be the same person as Irene as I think they have the same day of birth, 24 January, as well as using the name SPEAR.

25 March 1928

Reynold's Newspaper,  London

Mr Frederick Arthur PARSONS, decorator, High Holborn, W.C., v Mrs Eleanor PARSONS.  He was a boy of eighteen at the time of the wedding, and he soon had to complain about his wife's conduct.  They drifted apart and she disappeared for years until discovered to be living with the co-respondent, Harold Forrest in Huddlestone Road, Tufnell Park, North London.

That is all I can see by manipulating the text.  In 1928 Harold and Irene were living at 28 Huddlestone Road, Tufnell Park.  At the same address was a John Thomas HARDINGE. I believe that Frederick filed for divorce at that time because he wanted to remarry.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8050545

Marriages Dec 1913 

PARSONS,    Frederick A   
SPEAR,    Eleanor   
Islington    1b   690

Oh what a tangled web  ;D

Can I order a copy of this court file? It might have a clue or two.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 March 24 21:39 GMT (UK) »

Can I order a copy of this court file? It might have a clue or two.

Yes, but if you look at the link supplied by Dundee, it has not been digitized.  You can request a copy, if you click on the "Request a Copy" button on the right side.
As they have to find it, and print it, they will give you a quote first.  It will probably have a copy of the marriage in it as well.
Depending on how much you want to spend on this, you may want to wait for the marriage certificates to arrive, and see if we can get further on them first?  Totally up to you!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 March 24 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I've found a record of the marriage to Parsons. Just signed up to find my past. Eleanor Spear married Frederick Parsons in 1913.

Another record is showing for someone with the name Eleanor Spear marrying someone else in 1911 in Islington. I'm not sure it's her but I'll have a look into it.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 March 24 22:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 marriage was for an Eleanor b c1890, father Lewis Spear (deceased). Spouse George Henry Rich

She's George's spouse on his WWI records, with children b 1913 and 1915, so looks safe to assume she's a different person

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 06:53 BST (UK) »
Wow! You were all right weeks ago! My Grandfather was Harold Arthur Forrest Koselj. I had no way of identifying him as such a few weeks ago but I finally received the divorce file yesterday where Eleanor's first husband Frederick caught up with her. It mentions that she gave birth to two sons in her second marriage and there is a handwritten note stating their names. So far, this is the only information I have, I don't believe that Elsie the mother was ever a Forrest. The Father on the certificate is Ivan Koselj. Could the mother have simply lied about having previously been a Forrest, in order to make passing him over to the Forrests a bit easier? Irene/Eleanor has form for making up maiden names, the name Hardinge that she was using appears never to have been hers to use and was borrowed to enable a second marriage to Harold Forrest Senior without a divorce from Parsons.

I can't find any info about Harold Arthur having been adopted. I'm still searching for that piece of information but I am totally shocked that my Grandfather had a sister born in 1917 who he never knew about and now I'm researching all types of people in a haphazard way!

Why on earth would Elsie have traveled to America by ship every year?! What a life. She seemed to travel alone a lot but she's with Charles H Baber on one voyage, whom she later marries. No idea what happened to Ivan at the moment. I thought I was at the end yesterday but it feels like only the beginning!

Thank you all so much for your help.