Author Topic: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Harold snr & Irene only married 1922.  What birthplaces are shown for Harold, Irene & Harold jnr on the 1921 census

HAF =Lambeth
HF = Chadderton, Lancashire
EF = St Giles, London

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Potential birth for Harold senior Mar 1894 Oldham 8d 669

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth in 1919 for a Harold Arthur Forrest Koselj, mother's maiden name Forrest, in Lambeth.
Possible that this child is your Harold, and was actually the nephew of Harold.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Koselj is quite an uncommon name. There seems to be a marriage to an Elsie Wiegand, and a daughter born in 1917 (and potentially adopted in 1919????)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Noteventhebirdsareupyet, you say your grandfather tried to get a duplicate copy of his birth cert and went through the Salvation Army etc, but have you actually contacted the GRO? Since 2014 descendants of adopted people have been allowed to ask for the birth/adoption details held by the GRO for their ancestor. It is quite possible that an adoption order was made after 1927 which would then have been reflected in his birth certificate which was lost. Follow this link to see how to go about trying to get details from the GRO: http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/dap/

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 March 24 03:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth in 1919 for a Harold Arthur Forrest Koselj, mother's maiden name Forrest, in Lambeth.
Possible that this child is your Harold, and was actually the nephew of Harold.

It looks to me like Harold only had one surviving sister, Eliza Ann, who would have been 40 years old in 1919.   There is no birth registration for Irene that matches details on the 1939 register.  It is not impossible that she and 'Eleanor' are the same person.

I wonder if they switched the surnames and KOSELJ was the mother, FORREST the father.

I would start with getting Harold and Irene's 1922 marriage cert to establish an identity for both of them.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 March 24 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Koselj is quite an uncommon name. There seems to be a marriage to an Elsie Wiegand, and a daughter born in 1917 (and potentially adopted in 1919????)

The daughter is with Henry and Ellen May SPARKES in 1921 and their address is the same as an Elsie KOSELJ who was travelling back and forth between the USA and UK in the 1920s.  She claimed to be Serbian. 

Husband's USA naturalisation.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89HF-HJZJ

Debra  :)

Offline Noteventhebirdsareupyet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 24 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow! Totally overwhelmed by your replies and expertise. I will upload the info I have so far and reply to individual comments. Irene and Harold Forrest Senior's birth certificate was ordered 2 days ago, so hopefully I will have more to go on by the end of next week.

Offline Noteventhebirdsareupyet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 24 09:17 GMT (UK) »
No reason she couldn't be Eleanor. I have no evidence of this but I may have more to go on when I get Irene and Harold's marriage certificate. They doctored the physical copy that my Grandfather had, to show that they were married prior to his birth! I don't have the copy  they altered unfortunately.

Both of them lived until the 1960s, so Irene didn't die young and leave Harold Sr to raise him.

Peter was born quite a bit later, December 1926. I have attached a photo of his birth certificate.

It's unlikely that Harold Senior fathered Harold Jr because my Mum reports that Harold Senior was very badly injured in the war and didn't return until 1918, so he wasn't in very good condition!

Where did you get the 49 Upper Park Road info? Interested in looking at that. I'll send more details as and when I find any.