Author Topic: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Noteventhebirdsareupyet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927
« on: Saturday 09 March 24 21:15 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Harold Arthur Forrest was born in 1919 to Harold Forrest and Irene Hardinge. He had a birh certificate stating this and used it throughout his life, presumably to get married, join the army etc. Later on in his life, he posted his birth certificate somewhere (possibly to the DVLA or somewhere similar) and it was lost in the post. He tried to get a copy in order to continue his admin task and recalled that there was an 'A' marked in the top corner. When he called someone (not sure who) to ask if they could issue a new certificate, he was told that they couldn't locate a birth certificate for him and that the A simply meant he was adopted. Now he had no idea that he had been adopted and searched for years with help from the salvation army to trace his roots but he died never knowing the truth about his past.

I am trying to find out more but it is very tough! I have found his marriage certificate, no problem. I have access to censuses when he was a boy, living with Irene Hardinge and Harold Forrest and his brother Peter Forrest. I  have found Peter's birth certificate and my great grandfather's (Harold Senior) but for my grandfather there is nothing. I ordered a full copy of his brother's birth certificate and it had Mother: Irene Forrest, Late Hardinge, Formerly Spear. I understand this to mean that she was married prior to marrying my great grandfather and since the marriage was in 1922, 3 years after my grandfather was born it would seem that a man with the surname Hardinge was the father of my grandfather and he died before she remarried. However, I can't find any trace of a Hardinge/Spear marriage, I can't find a birth or census info for Irene prior to her becoming a Forrest.  My grandfather's birth is non existant and yet he had a birth certificate with both of the people he knew ad his parents on it and apparently a mark identifying him as adopted. Where on earth could his birth certificate have been registered? If adoption wasn't a concept prior to 1927, how did he come to be adopted and have documentation showing Harold Senior as his Father? I have searched every combination of names and dates for Spear/Hardinge/Forrest and still no trace of my grandfather, my great grandmother or her fist husband have surfaced. Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?!

To muddy the water further, my mother recalls that Harold Senior and Irene had a lodger, an elderly man living in their large home, by the name of Hardinge! Possible Father of a man who married Irene and fathered Harold (jr) and then died? Arghhh I've been at this for weeks and I'm going round in circles!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate/adoption certificate issued pre 1927
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you considered DNA?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:43 GMT (UK) »
He had a birh certificate stating this and used it throughout his life, presumably to get married, join the army etc.

He wouldn't have needed a birth cert for either of those.

I have access to censuses when he was a boy, living with Irene Hardinge and Harold Forrest and his brother Peter Forrest.

Harold and Irene didn't marry until 1922 and the most recent publically available census is 1921, which 'censuses' are you talking about?  Have you found Irene in 1921 prior to marriage?

Debra  :)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Not.....

Is Peter older or younger than Harold?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1921 census, are you certain that Harold senior's wife is called Irene? She couldn't be called Eleanor, for example.......

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth under Hardinge either so he was not Irene’s illegitimate son before she married Harold

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:49 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that if at some point after 1927 Harold Forrest Sr adopted his stepson, the original birth certificate could have been modified.

Given the dates it's possible his birth father was a soldier in WWI and there was no first marriage for Irene.

let's get an timeline here:

1895 (according to 1939 register): Irene born, possibly under name Spear
1919: Harold born, maybe under name Spear or Hardinge
1921 census: ???
1922: Irene marries Harold Forrest, under the name Hardinge or Hardings
1939 register: family are together in St Pancras

The marriage certificate from 1922 will be vital to you finding Irene.
Likely the name was also changed to "Harold" later on.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1921 census, are you certain that Harold senior's wife is called Irene? She couldn't be called Eleanor, for example.......
Perhaps living at 49 Upper Park Road

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 March 24 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Harold snr & Irene only married 1922.  The only document they would appear all together on is the 1939 register. 

A wild thought.  Could Harold jnr be the illegitimate son of Harold snr?  His birth may have been registered under his mothers name.  If she died - Harold snr may have brought him up