Author Topic: Hannay - Brooklyn  (Read 467 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannay - Brooklyn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 March 24 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Count St Aldenheim is a fictional character in Klosterheim; or, the Masque by Thomas De Quincey (1832). 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 March 24 18:27 GMT (UK) »
You guys are amazing! Thank you.
I'm not quite sure what to make of this but in 1863 Hugh Hannay, a photographer is in Cincinnati, Ohio. In the 1860 census he's in Covington, Kentucky with his ?brother James Montgomery Hannay but born in Ireland.
1858 Tax Assessment, Yonge St, Eastside, Toronto working for a News Depot
1859 Tax Assessment King St, Toronto with his ?brother who married Lucy McEwen in Toronto.
Hugh probably arrived in New York 1857 on the Kangaroo, also born in Ireland.

In 1866 James Hannay absconded with his 9 yr old daughter and $3000 when sent to New York to buy a printing press. Another daughter was born 1864 in Cincinnati.
http://chattanooga.advantage-preservation.com/viewer/?t=33888&i=t&by=1874&bdd=1870&bm=6&bd=7&d=06071874-06071874&fn=the_daily_times_usa_tennessee_chattanooga_18740607_english_3&df=1&dt=4&cid=2679

Jumping to conclusions here, but the St Aldenheim is surely fictitious?
The death notice in Brooklyn Daily Eagle does say Ireland and Scotland papers please copy.
The Hannay family were from Belfast, but they did have links to Scotland.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 March 24 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1870 census, take a look at Hugh and Mary "Waterbury" in Brooklyn. He's a photographer, aged 34, from Scotland.

Also on that census page is Edward Bedford. In the 1871 Brooklyn directory, Bedford's home address is 4 St Felix, and H H Hannay's home is at 6 St Felix. Further down the census page is Harris McKeever, who lived at 16 St Felix. Similarly Wellington Jarvis (2 pages on) who lived at number 48.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 March 24 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Jumping to conclusions here, but the St Aldenheim is surely fictitious?

Agreed!

Offline effrenata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 March 24 22:41 GMT (UK) »
As if one alias wasn't enough!
I think Hugh could have been in on the theft of the money - the timing is right as he arrives in New York c.1866.
I also found a death notice in the Belfast Weekly Examiner 15 Jan 1875
St. ALDENHEIM—At 51 Johnson Street, New York, H. H. Hanway St. Aldenheim. aged 39 years.

If I can find his war record (or is that a fiction too?) it might confirm the Irish origins but this is looking like my ancestor.
Thanks so much for your help - it's like the shoemaker's elves working while I sleep.

Cathy, New Zealand