Author Topic: Daughter matches but her mother does not  (Read 594 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter matches but her mother does not
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks TreeDigger. Interesting IBS can occur at that level with such a high probability. I will have to keep that in mind in future. I will put researching FC's paternal line on my to-do list. It will be difficult though as her parents emigrated to Australia.

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter matches but her mother does not
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 20:51 GMT (UK) »
IBS matches do occur quite frequently, though more often in segments with smaller cM.

It's too bad Ancestry doesn't give any specifics wrt chromosomes, as one dead give-away wrt a match being IBD or IBS is the amount of SNP or 'snip'. For example, I'll disregard a 7cM match with a mere 300 SNP as almost always IBS, whereas I'll consider a 6cM match with i.e. 900 SNP to be potentially IBD (though extremely difficult to trace). Any amount of cM with SNP exceeding 1,000 is basically safe to consider IBD, though there are exceptions there as well.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!