Author Topic: Francis Farquhar - Leochel or Cromar  (Read 149 times)

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Farquhar - Leochel or Cromar
« on: Sunday 10 March 24 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for a little local knowledge, or someone having been there before. I am trying to find Noram in the Leochel or Cromar area. Francis Farquhar seem to be having family in Leochel-Cushnie in the 1750’s. He seems to be mentioned as the Father of Mrs Tytler, dies 20th Feb 1811, Aberdeen Journal and also turns up in a Will. In the paper he is described as late of Waterfoul, Cromar. Trying to work out who he was and where he lived.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Farquhar - Leochel or Cromar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 24 23:56 GMT (UK) »
There's a Norham (pronounced "Norem") in the parish of Coull.

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/aberdeenshire-os-name-books-1865-1871/aberdeenshire-volume-16/8

Also in the parish of Coull is what was formerly Auchtercoull, but now appears on the maps as Wester Coull, which is pronounced "watterfool" and is the Waterfoul you mention.

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/aberdeenshire-os-name-books-1865-1871/aberdeenshire-volume-16/30

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Farquhar - Leochel or Cromar
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 24 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, local knowledge! Tangled family. I am trying an end run around a 30 year mystery. Where did William Fletcher of Migvie come from. There Seem to be links to the Gillenders family, And hence the Farquhars, Skinners and 3? Bishops of Aberdeen! A family business!
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside