Author Topic: Question for artists, please, re drawing images  (Read 310 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Question for artists, please, re drawing images
« on: Sunday 10 March 24 21:17 GMT (UK) »
A distant relative supposedly drew an image (a little girl holding an umbrella) c1912.  He drew roughly the same image in the early 1930s.  Might there be any way to determine if he was the original artist of the 1912 drawing by comparing brushstrokes, small details, etc., or if he simply copied the 1912 image?  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Question for artists, please, re drawing images
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I asked my Wife who is an Art Historian.

Yes, but, was her response.

There are many factors affecting the style in which a work of art is created and coupled with the skill level of the artist concerned there may be similarities that can support a conclusion that two works are by the same artist.

Even renowned artists like Sir Edward Burne Jones produced multiple versions of his works that are similar, yet different, but most certainly by himself.  Checkout the three versions of The Light Of The World, one in Manchester, one in Oxford and one in the USA, they are all available to view online.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 24 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Biggles50, for your and your wife’s help.  The images that were suggested are beautiful.

Our little painting, of course, pales in comparison; it was just a sketch really but the family tale, I think, is interesting.  Perhaps with more research I might be able to determine if the story has any validity. Thank you again, Lisa.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 24 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how you might hope to distinguish a later 'copy' from a later 'original' by the same artist, as the manner of brushstrokes would be similar in both.  Is there any chance that the earlier version was itself a 'copy' ?

(I am not an artist but both my parents graduated from the RCA and my father was in art education)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 24 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I suppose I’m “clutching at straws” at this point as we’ve never been able to find the name of the artist of the c1912 drawing.

I’m sorry but I’m not quite sure what you are asking, but your question has me thinking of another possibility. The relative worked for an advertising agency, joining the agency prior to 1912.  Family members said that he drew the image as part of an ad campaign. (Through research, I’ve found out that the image was eventually used in 1914.)  But, thinking about your question leads to the possibility that he could have thought of the concept but didn’t actually draw it c1912; another artist in the agency could have been the artist during that time.  I hope that makes sense.  :-\

I don’t think we’ll ever know if he had anything to do with the first image but I suppose it makes a great family story to pass down.  Thank you for your interest and question, Andrew.  Your question brought up a possibility that I’ve never considered.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 24 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I’m sorry but I’m not quite sure what you are asking, but your question has me thinking of another possibility.
I suppose I am asking - accepting that both drawings are from the same hand - whether the later one was a true attempt to copy the original, or possibly to reproduce it from memory ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young