Author Topic: F. Ibbotson, Toronto, Ontario, 1910-1916  (Read 174 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
F. Ibbotson, Toronto, Ontario, 1910-1916
« on: Monday 11 March 24 03:33 GMT (UK) »
I’m wondering, please, if there might be any newspaper articles c1910-1916 about Frederick Ibbotson, born 1888 or 1889, Oshawa, Ontario.  He worked for an advertising agency, Grip Limited, in Toronto, Ontario.  I’m wondering if his artwork was ever mentioned.  Thank you, Lisa

[We have full details/records about Frederick and his family - I’m just wondering if anything about his drawings was ever published.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: F. Ibbotson, Toronto, Ontario, 1910-1916
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 24 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

So far, I haven't found anything about his artwork.   This is what I found for Fred or F Ibbotson.  Some of these might refer to your Frederick??

1902, on the McCaul School football team
1906, Central YMCA boys football club - secretary treasurer F. Ibbotson
1907, carnival at a roller rink - Fred Ibbotson was a "Happy Hooligan", won a prize
1920, usher at wedding of Clementia Champion and William Whiteside
1921 and 1922, Toronto Dancing Club dinner dance
1924, Rani Ghar Grotto initiation.  Fred Ibbotson is on the Executive Committee
1926, amateur baseball, Osler team
1930, aeroplane racing - Fred Ibbotson listed. 

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 24 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi RK.  Thank you for finding those.  Some of them are definitely for our Ibbotsons (there were two Fredericks in our families).  If the Happy Hooligans is not insensitive to today’s standards, may I ask, please, if you would be able to share the image?  If it is insensitive, I would prefer that it not be shared.  Thank you for looking and providing the list.

[I’m trying to find out if Frederick helped to create a well-known American image.  Hence, the search for his artwork.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 24 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

There isn't a photo to go with the costume.   Sorry.   He is just listed as one of the prize winners, with the name of his character.

There is a photo for the aeroplane racers.   It isn't super clear, but that is the only photo I found. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 24 05:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the Archives of Ontario, or the Toronto Archives might have some information about the artwork created by Grip Ltd?

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 24 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi RK.  Thank you for letting me know about the lack of a photo.

If I could ask, please, if you would be able to share the plane photo?  It may not be for our Fredericks but I am curious.

I will check the archives!  I didn’t think of trying that — I’ve been looking online with no success.

Thank you again!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 24 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi RK - thinking about it, the aeroplane article was more than likely for an unrelated Frederick.  But, thank you very much for providing the list of articles.

Back to searching the archives (and looking for other ancestors as well).  ;D 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 24 06:26 GMT (UK) »
RK, it’s been awhile since I last searched the Toronto Archives; thank you again for suggesting it.  I found a photo of the Ibbotson hardware store, 343 Bathurst.  Our family has an old postcard showing just the storefront; it is amazing to see the entire building. If I remember correctly, the family lived upstairs.