Author Topic: Stewarts  (Read 206 times)

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts
« on: Monday 11 March 24 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I'm picking away on my mam's Grans side and have managed to get back a fair bit back but am now stuck! I have gotten to

Joseph "Josie" Stewart
B:1785 Ballymena, Antrim, Northern Ireland

D:31 October 1807 Ballymena, Antrim, Northern Ireland.
His wife is

Jean Moharg
B:1785

D:1873 but this is all I have on her

Josies parents are:- Robert Stewart
B:1756 Clough Antrim N. Ireland

D:1837 Clough Antrim N. Ireland

Wife is as far as know was

Margaret Mann
B:1759 Clough Antrim N. Ireland

D:1843 Clough Antrim N. Ireland.

This is as far as I have gotten to as Irish records are extremely hard to find so if anyone can help me I'd be super grateful for any an all help.

Kindest Regards
Gill

Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 24 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I can’t find a death for a Jean Stewart in 1873. Nearest was this in 1874 for a widowed  farmer’s wife from Tullybane, Dunaghy (near Clough). Jean and Jane are interchangeable names in Ireland (and Scotland).

7247273.pdf (irishgenealogy.ie)

There are several trees on Ancestry that have this family but I have to say not all the information on them looks accurate to me. Exercise caution if relying on any of them.

For example, the McCann tree has your Joseph b 1785 as the father of another Joseph Stewart b 1801 who married Maria Hall in 1852. You can see the likely  marriage certificate here:

5413134.pdf (irishgenealogy.ie)

You will see that the Joseph shown there had a father named William Stewart, not Joseph, that he was 27 years of age so born c 1825, not 1801 and that his bride was Jane not Maria. Otherwise spot on! He did live in Tullybane though. There was a Joseph Stewart born 1801 who  died 1881 in Tullybane but I think someone has got their lines mixed up as to who was married to who and who is descended from whom. 1881 death here. Note that he was still married:

4845485.pdf (irishgenealogy.ie)

Though most pre 1901 Irish censuses were lost, a few fragments survive, including those for Tullybane in 1851. There were 3 Stewart families living there then:

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

I’ll leave you to work out how they were all related.

There are a number of Stewart & Mann graves in Clough graveyard. This one relates to one of the Tullybane families:

[on east face] In loving memory, of, Hugh Stewart, Tullybane, died 27th December 1910, aged 79 years, and his daughters, Louisa, died 28th December 1910, aged 37 years. Margaret died 30th July 1883 aged 16 years, Jane died 2nd February 1864, aged 1 year and 7 months, Mary died 19th February 1968. Stewart [On north face] Jane McCaughey, wife of, Hugh Stewart, died 16th July 1914, aged 75 years. Their son John, died 7th March 1951 aged 72 years, His wife, Martha Ruth Conn, died 29th January 1974, aged 87 years.

Much Irish research comes to a stop around 1800 due to the general lack of records. Clough Presbyterian church is one of the oldest in Ireland and the congregation there dates back to the mid 1600s. Unfortunately in the mid 1800s there was a fire and all their early records were lost.

Incidentally Jean Moharg is more likely to be Meharg. That’s a fairly common name in Co Antrim.
Hope some of this is of help.
Elwyn

Offline Stewarty076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 24 18:45 BST (UK) »
 Elwyn, thank you so very much for all your help, I'll defo be checking things out that you have listed

Kindest Regards

Gill
Stewart McGilp Gillies Haldane Sommerville Little Orr Mullen Robertson King Leckie Hutton McLaren McDonald Meason/Mason Morison Hamilton Stuart,