Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 17th March 2024  (Read 2205 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 17th March 2024
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 07:40 GMT (UK) »
That's great Queen Camilla is coming, KGarrad. :)  Will you get to see her do you think?
I am sorry that this will impact on your usual coffee activity with friends and your shopping and causing traffic chaos but perhaps worth it for such a prestigious event?

By the way, we have jumped onto another thread (24th March) now for this weeks happenings.  My excuse is I was just responding about the books.
 ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I understand that RTL,

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi RTL
We’ve been to Bletchley twice now. The first time many years ago, the bombe machine - which was working - was still within the Bletchley part of the site. The last time we went it had been moved up the hill to the museum of computing and that had a separate entrance fee so we didn’t go there. The staff said there’d been some sort of fallout and it had been moved. No idea how true that is. There’s so much to see and take in at Bletchley though,  that we’d have needed a second day to visit the museum of computing.
Bletchley is well worth a visit imo.
North East of England

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Or did he know too much?

Michael Ventris was not connected to Bletchley Park, though he could probably have made use of their computers.  His death was a question between heart failure and suicide.  Neither he nor Alice Kober stayed safe; she was a smoker and when paper was short during the war, she organised her notes on used cigarette packets instead of cards.  Meanwhile, Ventris was well suited to the logic of an RAF navigator.  He set a course, then cleared his table and worked on Linear B during most of the flight.  Imagine family history flourishing in the same study atmosphere.

I hope Queen Camilla stayed safe and the IoM has a good day.  (Will now move on a week!)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Bletchley Park certainly sounds like a great place to visit.  I will have to put this on my bucket list to visit one of these days.

Re Ventris, would heart failure not have shown up on a post mortem?  He sounds like a really clever man.  Perhaps his brains might have been sought in a non official way by some intelligence group and he may have known too much about something.  Although, it may just have all been an accident or heart attack and nothing to do with any conspiracy theory.

Yes, it would have been great to have had the likes of Ventris and Kober on here to help us solve all our brick walls. ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner