Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 17th March 2024  (Read 2203 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 17th March 2024
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Good idea L.M re toilet roll inners, do you put anything in the end ?

Tried new Dentist today, not impressed , firstly there were a great number of stairs ,all one flight but mine have 14 but their’s were twice as many ,so the surgery must be in the second  floor of a high old building .
The Dentist was more  apprehensive than I regarding the Heart Failure malarkey! I was not comfortable with so many steps.
He was apprehensive too about any anaesthetics I would normally have.
Oh dear, a complicated situation.

Milder weather but a dark drizzly day,quite  wetting light rain.
Got a lift back from The Dentist’s  ,a chap I used to see when walking the dog a good while ago ,his wife and I were on the PTA,at my daughter’s  junior school.

Had a chat with my sister, well she chatted and I listened —— she will be ( shhhhhh,don’t tell anyone but she is 90 next month ,)
She ignores birthdays ,and the last time I saw her was pre Covid.
I don’t suppose she has changed .
Doesn’t celebrate Birthdays anymore.
She too sadly lost her son last year but has put it completely behind her.
Everyone copes in their own way.

Thanks for the info re bread stored in the fridge.
I should freeze it in small separate batches.

Well a nice cuppa when my son comes in.- from next door.
Look after yourselves folks.
Viktoria.

P.S. empty toilet roll this morning so I tucked in  one end all round for about an inch so they all overlapped and yes,a sturdy little pot !
You could get two out really.Thanks Louisa.
Cheerio .V.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria
Toilet rolls for seeds, I clip the bottom  and turn the edges in, makes it more sturdy to stand on, I have never done it myself but I read it somewhere, might be worth a try.

I had to change dentists, I had to go private, so far so good but she  didn't charge  me as much as my friend who pays hundreds for any work she has  done, if I want an anesthetic for fillings like I used to have ,  12/6  in those days, goodness knows how much now but I would have to go to another dental practice.

I do sometimes freeze bread after I have  cut it into slices,  I sometimes put 4 slices into individual  bags to freeze and take out a bag at a timeI take out what I need an hour before I  need it, leave it on the board covered with kitchen roll and it is ready, works out of for me.

Lovely day so far,  need a goid day to get my washing out

Take care everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 March 24 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes,clipping the edges in will make them lie flatter.
I need some potting compost, I like to buy from our local hardware shop, very like Fork Handles  or Four Candles!
You can go in and ask- “ What size screw for this ,what Rawlplug and what size drill bit ?” And get the answers and all you need.
A dying convenience ,but go to B&Q and the place is deserted, hardly anyone to ask.
Then  have to buy a big pack with thousands of screws when you need about four!

A grey day again !
Just written to a teacher I worked with ,she sent a card ,like those I used to make with the Reception Class for Mothering Sunday ,she helps out at her daughter’s school. Her daughter being The Head Teacher.
She sent the card as a happy reminder.

Well hope all are altright, given that we know quite a few have health issues .
Cheerio .
Viktoria.

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I do like the eco friendly tips you and LM have given Viktoria.  That is lovely that you got a nice card from a former colleague.

Yesterday morning on way home, I went via North Shields so I could attend the naming ceremony for the new square outside our new bus station which we got last year.  People had been asked to vote re four local historical contenders.  My choice - Thomas Brown - won so I was very happy about that.  Some heartfelt speeches were made from the Mayor and Thomas's family.  I was welling up listening to them.  Mind a man in the crowd made me laugh later when he said to me "I thought it was Denzel Washington who won that".  I laughed back and said "So did I!". Well, some Amercan, anyway. ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:38 GMT (UK) »
That was nice RTL.

I had some good news yesterday,  my cousin was a life boat man for years,  his daughter has managed to get his name inscribed  on the local boat, I do believe they are expecting a new boat soon, so hopefully I will get to see it,  there was a service in Westminster Abbey recently and another in Glasgow,  from memory it might have been a 200th anniversary.

We can't get BBC Scotland here, does anyone know if I sign up do I have to pay a subscription to watch BBC Scotland  from England.

Thought it was a nice sunny morning an hour ago, washing out but it has clouded over now.

My husband mowed the lawn yesterday,  it really was to wet, doesn't look so good but I am hoping it will  settle by the time it is mowed again, he doesn’t do the edges,  so that is a job for me, will kill my back I know but it has to be done.

Have a nice weekend all ,  and let's  hope some nicer weather

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:44 GMT (UK) »
LM, what a honour and a tribute that your cousin has had his name inscribed on a boat after years of worthy service.  I hope you do get to see the new boat soon.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 March 24 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes,RNLI 200 years old this year .
A programme on Tuesday and also last week of the Life Boat that was lost at sea in a tremendous gale ,many of the crew did not survive .
Penlee, The Solomon Brown .
Such unselfish bravery and all voluntary.
The RNLI. Is a charity I support.

A bright morning ,son down to B/ham to his God Daughter’s birthday .
Her father was a friend from Uni  many years ago now but they still maintain contact.

Well shopping stuff to put away in fridge ,freezer and  cupboards.
Picked up the lovely Art Deco vase I have mentioned , it is new , they even had its packaging still.

Look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 March 24 12:13 GMT (UK) »
A rather miserable day here today, so I won't hang the washing out but will drape it over what we Lancastrians call a "maiden", except mine isn't made of wood.  It's plastic covered metal.  I'll put it in the warmest spot but near the French windows, so it will catch any sun which might venture out from behind the clouds.  Don't like to put wet clothes onto the radiators.

A happy evening yesterday at a fund-raising quiz night.  Our team came third, much better than last year, when we were last.  ::)  Around £1000 raised - it cost £10 per person to enter, plus £1 each to take part in a Heads or Tails round - everyone stands up and chooses to put their hands on either their head or their tail.  A coin is spun.  If it lands on Heads, then everyone who put their hands on their Head sits down and who chose Tails remain standing.  The process is repeated with those remaining making their choice each time until only one person is left standing.  No, that person doesn't win the jackpot  :( he/she gets a bottle of wine and the jackpot (£108 this time) goes to the charity.  There was also a raffle and a bar, which only accepted cash - difficult these days when everyone uses cards.  We didn't have to pay extra for the supper, which consisted of a pasty  with salad and one of those large soft biscuits with chocolate chips or nuts in.  This is an annual event in our village and is very popular.

Our blood tests are done at the local GP surgery.  We have a "blood nurse" who takes them and sends them off to the local hospital.  We can see the results on the surgery website.  The surgery has a "no news is good news" policy, so you don't hear back from the surgery if the result is good.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 March 24 17:58 GMT (UK) »

We can't get BBC Scotland here, does anyone know if I sign up do I have to pay a subscription to watch BBC Scotland  from England.
LM

That's a lot of good news from everyone.
I can get BBC Scotland on BBC I-player, and stuff you've already missed, LM.  It's better than English telly on a Saturday. Amended...No, sorry, it's Alba channel that has lovely music on Saturdays.