Author Topic: Great grandparents burial site - Gent  (Read 250 times)

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great grandparents burial site - Gent
« on: Monday 11 March 24 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I’m after any suggestions of how to find the graves of my great grandparents Everard Gent 1896-1962 and Ethel Maud Gent 1896-1963.   They both lived in Shepshed Leicestershire at the time of their deaths.   I’ve searched the local cemetery and the online grave sites with no luck.  They did live previously in Whitwick and the Coalville area.  I’m stuck with where to go from here ???

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great grandparents burial site - Gent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 24 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I have access to shepshed records...death and burial at loughborough library.  I will take a look

You say you checked the local cemetery...?   Loughborough?  or St Botolphs, Shepshed?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I’ve searched through Shepshed Cemetery online records lots of agents but no sign of them.  I’ve tried find a grave and the other one but no luck.   They were born Catholic.  Local Catholics were buried at Shepshed cemetery though.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
OK ta will have a rummage in local records tomorrow.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any notices in the newspapers, but there are two which might be of interest.

There is an article about Whitwick Colliery in the Leicester Evening Mail, on 16th June 1962, about miners willing to contribute 10 cwts. of their concessionary coal to the pool supplying retired miners and widows.
One of the names mentioned is Mr. Everard Gent (50 years service).

In 1939, he was a colliery hewer at 91 Brook Street in Shepshed.
In 1921, they were in Whitwick as Ghent. Everard, an out of work miner, is translated incorrectly as Edward, so I have sent an error message.

In the Leicester Evening Mail, on 3rd October 1940, it mentions Everard Gent (Jnr.?) of Brook Street, Shepshed, who escaped injury as a pillion passenger when the rider, Edward Ash, rode into a dyke.

Probate following Everard's death, on 9th October 1962, gives his address as 25 McCarthy Road, Shepshed.
That of Ethel, on 9th May 1963, is the same address.

David

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Not in shepshed pr burials at all  .not in igi. 

Probate says Everard died 9/10/1962 Carlton Hayes hospital , Narborough,, leics.

Death listed Leicester Central 3A / 465  so may be buried leicester .

Sorry can't find anything else.  Loughborough cemetery records don't go to 1962 but you can contact the local council and ask. They are usually very helpful.

Diddy

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Now that is interesting I will look into the Leicester idea.    I have even checked with Shepshed Cemetery direct and they’ve checked the actual records book just in case they were missed when put online.  Thanks for your help.

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: DCB

link=topic=881100.msg7536256#msg7536256 date=1710236480
I can't find any notices in the newspapers, but there are two which might be of interest.

There is an article about Whitwick Colliery in the Leicester Evening Mail, on 16th June 1962, about miners willing to contribute 10 cwts. of their concessionary coal to the pool supplying retired miners and widows.
One of the names mentioned is Mr. Everard Gent (50 years service).

In 1939, he was a colliery hewer at 91 Brook Street in Shepshed.
In 1921, they were in Whitwick as Ghent. Everard, an out of work miner, is translated incorrectly as Edward, so I have sent an error message.

In the Leicester Evening Mail, on 3rd October 1940, it mentions Everard Gent (Jnr.?) of Brook Street, Shepshed, who escaped injury as a pillion passenger when the rider, Edward Ash, rode into a dyke.

Probate following Everard's death, on 9th October 1962, gives his address as 25 McCarthy Road, Shepshed.
That of Ethel, on 9th May 1963, is the same address.

David

Thank you for that David fascinating

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 20:09 GMT (UK) »

Death listed Leicester Central 3A / 465  so may be buried leicester .

Given the above, I had a look at my sources for Gilroes, which supposedly go up to y2000, and neither Everard nor Ethel is listed there.

I have to add though that this is not foolproof, as my grandfather isn't listed either (died early 1960s) yet I know he's there!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)