Author Topic: Non-existent Italian town from like 1850  (Read 280 times)

Offline PenBusconi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non-existent Italian town from like 1850
« on: Tuesday 12 March 24 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, old user here, lost my user several years ago

I have this Argentinian baptism record from 1882 in which the Italian parents are mentioned as being from what looks like "Ponti di Corve" in Pavia (Lombardia). However, I can't find anything online about a town called "Ponti di Corve" or anything close to it. Am I reading correctly?

Any insights or help on the town name would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-existent Italian town from like 1850
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, PenBusconi,

I believe that you are reading this correctly.  I, too, have done several searches in the FamilySearch catalog and books online, as well as in Google Books and archive.org and have turned up nothing. The closest I came was to Pontecorve in Frosinone.  I even tried to access parish registers for Pavia for the years that both Miguel and his wife would have been born.  Unfortunately, though, the registers don't seem to exist for those two time frames and no birth or baptism was found on https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ for Miguel Busconi.

However, what I can say is that you need to try to locate a comprehensive gazetteer or directory such as "Nuovo dizionario dei comuni e frazioni di comuni con le circonscrizioni amministrative" published in 1954 by A. Bruno.  There is a copy in the FamilySearch Library at Salt Lake City but you would have to contact them to see if someone could do a search for you, in it, to try to locate Ponti di Corve.  It may be that that locale has been absorbed by a larger city or may have even been a neighbourhood in a larger city at the time.

Sorry I can't  be of much more help than this.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Maybe worth a try:
They arrived in Argentina, probably by boat. Did you check passenger lists for this couple?
If you're lucky, there'll be some new information hidden there.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the place name mentioned refers to an actual area/bridge in Pavia and not a town.

This is a link to an old 1908 city map of Pavia www.discusmedia.com/maps/italian_city_maps/4035/

On the left margin half way on the page is the Statione Centrale. Just below this, there is a Ponti a Carvour which connects through to Corso Cavour. Wondering if this could connect to the reference of Ponti di Corve?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for possible variations taking into account that Michele Busconi could neither read nor write. Any information on line is quite vague. Quite a bit on familysearch regarding censuses in Argentina and various BMDs. The family tree on familysearch just refers to place of birth, Pavia, Lombardia. Which either points to MonicaL's very plausible suggestion or that the place was misheard and therefore written down incorrectly.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KGNQ-NFK

This may of course be your own tree, but if not, you can click on various sources from the tree.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline PenBusconi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, PenBusconi,

I believe that you are reading this correctly.  I, too, have done several searches in the FamilySearch catalog and books online, as well as in Google Books and archive.org and have turned up nothing. The closest I came was to Pontecorve in Frosinone.  I even tried to access parish registers for Pavia for the years that both Miguel and his wife would have been born.  Unfortunately, though, the registers don't seem to exist for those two time frames and no birth or baptism was found on https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ for Miguel Busconi.

However, what I can say is that you need to try to locate a comprehensive gazetteer or directory such as "Nuovo dizionario dei comuni e frazioni di comuni con le circonscrizioni amministrative" published in 1954 by A. Bruno.  There is a copy in the FamilySearch Library at Salt Lake City but you would have to contact them to see if someone could do a search for you, in it, to try to locate Ponti di Corve.  It may be that that locale has been absorbed by a larger city or may have even been a neighbourhood in a larger city at the time.

Sorry I can't  be of much more help than this.

Hi! Appreciate the help, it was actually quite useful. I'm a bit stuck on this one, so any hint is welcome.

I had also thought about an absorved town or frazione but I had no idea where to look for and that directory definitely makes sense, so I'll reach out a family center to see if someone can do the search for me

Thanks

Offline PenBusconi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Maybe worth a try:
They arrived in Argentina, probably by boat. Did you check passenger lists for this couple?
If you're lucky, there'll be some new information hidden there.

As far as I know, there are no passenger lists available for immigrants arriving in Argentina in the mid-1800s. There's this database https://cemla.com but it covers arrivals starting in 1880.
I should check if there are passenger lists sailing out of Italy for those years, but it feels like a long shot.  I've struggled to find reliable passenger lists out of Italian ports, and considering Italy was going throgh a famine during that time, I doubt that the diaspora they suffered those years was well-documented.

Thanks for the input

Offline PenBusconi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for possible variations taking into account that Michele Busconi could neither read nor write. Any information on line is quite vague. Quite a bit on familysearch regarding censuses in Argentina and various BMDs. The family tree on familysearch just refers to place of birth, Pavia, Lombardia. Which either points to MonicaL's very plausible suggestion or that the place was misheard and therefore written down incorrectly.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KGNQ-NFK

This may of course be your own tree, but if not, you can click on various sources from the tree.

Yes, that's actually the tree I'm getting information from, thanks for looking into it. Pavia (Lombardia) is definitely his birthplace, just in this  register, for some reason, he also specified "Ponte di Corve" in the municipality field (comune).

Offline PenBusconi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I think the place name mentioned refers to an actual area/bridge in Pavia and not a town.

This is a link to an old 1908 city map of Pavia www.discusmedia.com/maps/italian_city_maps/4035/

On the left margin half way on the page is the Statione Centrale. Just below this, there is a Ponti a Carvour which connects through to Corso Cavour. Wondering if this could connect to the reference of Ponti di Corve?

Monica

Well, that actually makes a lot of sense (and quite an impressive level of research too).

Carvour, Cavour (which still exists, it seems), and (Spanish-ized) Corve are close enough to consider that you might be onto something. I might take the chance to confront Italian bureaucracy and mail the comune to ask if they can provide more information.

Thanks for your help