Author Topic: Yetgoch in Troedyraur, Cardiganshire  (Read 359 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Yetgoch in Troedyraur, Cardiganshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have found Iet-goch and further than I thought from the census order of dwellings. Iet-Goch would sound like Yetgoch. It now looks like one building split into two, but I do not understand why there are 11 buildings between Richards and Jones, unless the Enumerator did not realise it had been divided and had to return. From a modern map, it looks like the building is still standing.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
https://www.sog.org.uk/education/learning-hub/guides-tips/how-to-use-census-records/

This is useful but still doesn't shed light on why 2 entries. 
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I have found a baptism for Sarah Richards b.26 Dec 1834 in Troedyraur with parents Daniel Richards and Mary Davies. He could be related, but much further away from what I was hoping. Having listed the neighbours of Sarah Jones, I looked again at the entry for Sarah Richards. Her neighbours were Winllan Uchaf, unnamed, unnamed and Brynmanalisaf. In the other direction, Crugybalog, unnamed and Blaencoed, so they do not match. I have found the area, and there is a small cluster of dwellings at Winllan. From that, there must be two called Yetgoch/Iet-goch in the area with a mile between. In the 1841 census for Margaret Richards, it gives her address as Penrhiwpal and the Winllan area is close enough to be associated with that hamlet. Having doubted, that is making me think there could be a connection between Margaret and Sarah. Thanks for your help.