Author Topic: Looking for Great GF from Denmark background on Paternal Grandfather's line.  (Read 676 times)

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great GF from Denmark background on Paternal Grandfather's line.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 01:05 GMT (UK) »
I've made a quick & dirty tree incorporating all the information provided above using GenoPro.

Color codes refer to cM matches. Relationships & percentages underneath the boxes refer to the Unknown Great Grandparent being a son of Ellen Nielsen & Niels Dahl; parenthesized relationships & percentages within the boxes refer to OP's hypothesis of the UGG being a son of Ane Nielsen & Rasmus Johansen. The percentages are based on results from dna-sci dot com, as they also use segments in calculations.

Mind that other relationships that fall outside of these particular percentages are still possible, though less likely.

Thank you so much - that is clearer to me.

The son that was thought to be the likeliest candidate was Martin DAHL but I see no evidence of any of them being in the area required. I also still firmly believe that my GF's father was a "seaman" but these were all farmers as far as I can tell. I don't really know what Martin did in his younger life though and there was a M[artin?] Dahl on shipping record but it has born in Norway for that seaman. I must check that out again. The first candidate suggested was younger brother Christian but he died in 1889 and I think that was only because of his age. I also considered the father Niels but he died 1900. The cousins are even younger so maybe not likely.
The highest match was Birthe 1940-2022 and my diagram was initially based on the relationship between Allan and Birthe's father Svend Rasmussen as Allan had him in his tree and MyHeritage drew up the connections.

I am even considering the fact that Allan & Dan's Ancestor, GGM, sister to Svend's father, Niels Clausen Rasmussen, also married a Nielsen so possibly VERY close connections within the family(s) which would inflate some connections - so maybe the MyHeritage connections are not higher but inflated compared to the Ancestry ones. Also Ancestry trims back matches cMs with its Timber algorithm so maybe ???

Also back to Martin DAHL - I have a DNA match on Ancestry to a Great grandchild of his through his daughter but it's not particularly high for a possible 2nd cousin at 16cM across 2 segments but trimmed back by Ancestry from unweighted shared of 25cM with longest being 16cM. I have equal or higher matches to Martin's siblings Great grandchildren. They go from 8cM [Dan's sibling] to 43cM or so descendant of older brother [Anders] Angus or maybe Neils Peter DAHL, can't remember. Is it Ok to invite you to View or collaborate on my results? I have Access to others for viewing only - one in this line.

UPDATE: Here is the record on Ancestry with a Martin Dahl aged 21 -a Bookbinder from Norway and also an Alfred Dahl aged 30 a Coke Dealer? of NS [Nova Scotia?] on board 'Alaska' June 30 1890 - Passengers?

Funny thing is my father was a Coal & Coke expert and worked at BHP Newcastle Steelworks, becoming Superintendent of Works Research until this department closed & he took retirement. Not sure if this man from NS was that kind of a Coke dealer or ??  Just interesting and his surname was Alfred Dahl. My GF's middle name being Alfred. Although the thought was that my GF was named for his uncle - John Samuel Gregory had a brother James Alfred Gregory 1859-1939 died in Channel Islands. My GF was the only child named directly after a relative that I can see in the Gregory line. My be deliberate as he may have known not his father ?? The name follows through my family another 2 generations.

Here is the link on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/7547399:7488?tid=39001678&pid=162486859838&hid=1031965501248

Thank again for your time and sorry I took so long to get back to this. I really appreciate it.

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great GF from Denmark background on Paternal Grandfather's line.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 24 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask what your documented great grandfather did for a living, and where he was in late 1900/early 1901? Could he have been working away at the time of your grandfather's conception?

My documented GGF was a Hotel Broker, but at other times a Clerk in a hotel, Hotel Waiter in older age closer to his death in 1903 I think.
 A farm/Ag. labourer in his youth.

It is unknown where he was on 31st March 1901 when NSW had a Census. His wife is named at their address 22 Waterview St, Balmain and the number of males & females suggests he and his daughter from the previous marriage were not present.

In 1891 he was on that Census as JS Gregory at 6 Batty St, Balmain and number of males & females suggests all present at that time 2M[ales] he & baby son born 1890 and 2F[emales] his wife and daughter from previous marriage.

I believe John Samuel Gregory may have taken his daughter to find the culprit responsible for her condition and he perhaps believed himself responsible for his wife's condition, not sure. He was the informant on my Grandfather's birth registration though, and I believe either way only the husband's name could go on the birth record no matter who the biological father was claimed to be.

I would love to know his whereabouts at conception but I think he would have been in Sydney although there were celebrations happening in other capital cities including Brisbane. B

Him being a Hotel Broker for a fair period in his career makes me feel he may have had an association with the family from Nth Queensland and the MRCA [most recent common ancestor] the father of the DNA matches Ancestors [all siblings] on that side owned a hotel and drank himself to death apparently - his wife took on the Hotel Licence after that. They were Neils Christian DAHL 1840-1900  and Ellen Marie (Marion) Nielsen 1842-1924.

It is likely he may have worked away from home at times, even as a hotel waiter or was visiting people in Queensland for certain amounts of time, and may have been doing so around the time of conception of your grandfather, and at the 1901 Australian census.

Yes possible I agree - I would think he should have been on a 1901 Census somewhere though unless out of the country.  I found a .PDF of the Archive of results of the 1901 Qld Census but it didn't help.
Thank you for your reply

My Family tree is on Ancestry murray_gregory username gregory_jag1

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 March 24 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - that is clearer to me. [...] Is it Ok to invite you to View or collaborate on my results? I have Access to others for viewing only - one in this line.

I'll gladly help, but things will be a bit slow due to Real Life demanding my attention (elderly parents, one of whom fell and fractured a hip & shoulder). Will look up your tree and expand the one I made. I'm both on Ancestry and MH, so that shouldn't be a problem ;) 
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 24 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - that is clearer to me. [...] Is it Ok to invite you to View or collaborate on my results? I have Access to others for viewing only - one in this line.

I'll gladly help, but things will be a bit slow due to Real Life demanding my attention (elderly parents, one of whom fell and fractured a hip & shoulder). Will look up your tree and expand the one I made. I'm both on Ancestry and MH, so that shouldn't be a problem ;)

Thank you and I hope your parent is more comfortable now after that fall. Just message me on Ancestry if and when you feel you have the time.

Thanks again

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 24 09:48 GMT (UK) »

. . .
Meanwhile learn how to use the tools available in both My Heritage and Gedmatch.

Read up on using DNA Painter’s WATO and other tools like their Chromosome Painter, etc.

If you have a tree based on the suspected Father, look on Social Media for any descendents of them and make contact.

. . .

As it is you seem to be on the right track.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I appreciate it.

I have done most of that but will take a look at WATO again.

Also I found a while back that there is an extensive memorial on Find A Grave for this family for all the children of the Common Ancestors so that has been a great help - just have to watch Find A Grave for incorrect info but this seems spot on fortunately.

I watched WDYTYA Tuesday night here in Australia and Dame Judi Dench was on and her Irish back ground soon went back to Denmark - way way back and it was fascinating. Further back than mine seems to be though but I am still wondering if there will prove to be an Irish connection with this Danish line as well - my Paternal side is nearly all Irish except the Sweden & Denmark at 9% on this side and 3% on maternal line. Both my father & his father's maternal sides are Irish - although no one born and lived there for a few generations.

Yes we just have to be patient sometimes & wait for the right descendant to test sometimes in the end.

Thanks again for your reply.