Author Topic: Cleary / Roche County Wexford  (Read 473 times)

Offline accleary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cleary / Roche County Wexford
« on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I wonder if you can help fill some gaps around two of my ancestors from County Wexford:

Peter Cleary, born 1821, Kilmore, County Wexford

Owen Roche, born c.1842, Wexford (City, I believe)

Both of them emigrated, as many did, to England later in the 19th Century (Peter Cleary in the 1840s, I believe), and Owen Roche after March 1869 (as that's when my great grandmother, Mary Bridget Roche, was born in Macroom, Co. Cork), where there are quite clear records, but what I'm interested in is information on their lives in Ireland, and particularly about their parents/grandparents. Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Cleary / Roche County Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 24 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I wonder if you can help fill some gaps around two of my ancestors from County Wexford:

Peter Cleary, born 1821, Kilmore, County Wexford

Owen Roche, born c.1842, Wexford (City, I believe)

Both of them emigrated, as many did, to England later in the 19th Century (Peter Cleary in the 1840s, I believe), and Owen Roche after March 1869 (as that's when my great grandmother, Mary Bridget Roche, was born in Macroom, Co. Cork), where there are quite clear records, but what I'm interested in is information on their lives in Ireland, and particularly about their parents/grandparents. Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated!

You could help us to help you if you could provide some more information:

Peter Cleary
What is the source of the knowledge that he was from Kilmore, Co. Wexford.
When/where/who did he marry?
Occupation?

Owen Roche.
There is no Wexford City, I presume you mean the town? Again, what is the source of the indication that he was from there?
Did he go by any other name other than Owen?
Where/when/who did he marry?
In particular, I fid it perplexing that if Peter was from Wexford, then why would his daughter have been born in Macroom, Co. Cork?
Occupation?

Mary Roche
You say there are clear records for her birth in Macroom in March 1869. Can you reference these? Civil registration? Baptism? I can't see either.
Mother's name?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Is this the family in Heworth, Durham, 1881?
Owen and Bridget Roche with several children.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-GP7T

The younger children in this family look to have a mother’s surname of Hart.

Here is a birth for Laurence in 1874 - Owen and Bridget Hart
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03162/2159844.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:07 GMT (UK) »

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Baptism no. 2437 Rathdrum January 1869
Latin
Maria Roche - father Eugenio and mother Brigida Hart - residence Aughrim Lower
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633444#page/165/mode/1up

All this throws doubt on your ‘quite clear records’.

Perhaps I have found the wrong Roche family so maybe leave it there until you confirm/deny.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

There's a marriage in the Clonegal RC parish registers between an Owen Roach and Bridget Hart, it took place on 30 April 1861, witnessed by James Halpin and Eliza Nolan:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634445#page/133/mode/1up

Their residence looks like 'Barragh' which I'm guessing might be this townland just outside County Wexford in County Carlow:
https://www.townlands.ie/carlow/forth/barragh/cranemore/barragh/

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 24 08:51 GMT (UK) »

There's a marriage in the Clonegal RC parish registers between an Owen Roach and Bridget Hart ...

What looks like this couple's first child Michael Roache was baptised in the same parish on 30 March 1862, the sponsors were John Brophy and Johanna Nolan:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634447#page/108/mode/1up

This time, their residence was given as 'Lacabeg', which I think might be the nearby townland of Lackabeg:
https://www.townlands.ie/carlow/saint-mullins-upper/barragh/clonegall/lackabeg/

Offline accleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 24 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, thanks for your replies so far - you guys are amazing. Ok, to address the questions one by one:

Mary Bridget Roche being born in Macroom - 1939 England and Wales register lists her birthplace as County Cork, Ireland. I'm sure I saw an explicit reference to Macroom somewhere, perhaps in the US records (NB: Mary Bridget Roche and Joseph Cleary, my paternal great-grandfather and Peter Cleary's son, spent time in Pennsylvania - Lackawanna County, before returning to North East England in the early 1900s), but my ancestry subscription doesn't stretch that far at the moment.

Owen Roche - not sure if he was known as anything else. Regarding the name of his wife, there's a bit of uncertainty on my part whether it's a Bridget Hart or a Bridget Daly. As there's a baptism of a Mary Bridget Roche in Fermoy, Cork, in March 1869 with the parents being Owen Roche and Bridget Daly, but the evidence based on Mary's brothers suggest that Hart is the correct mother's maiden name. Regarding Wexford (Town), the 1901 England census lists his birth place as 'Westford, Ireland', which I took to be a spelling mistake, as I haven't found a place called Westford.

Peter Cleary, born 1821 - married Isabella Linsley in North-East England (Durham I believe). Evidence for him being from Kilmore is the 1881 E&W Census listing him (Peter Clarry  ::) ) as being born in Kilmoor, Ireland. And I think I've seen Rilmore somewhere too! I've seen others on Ancestry listing a James Cleary, born 1790 in County Clare as his father, but I haven't found documentary evidence of that.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 24 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gaffy. I had wondered if Michael was from an earlier marriage but didn’t have the time to search.